Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Adding MTD support

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

We got a system that is not accessible, it only has an ethernet port. The OS was built without MTD support. We like to ftp all the MTD related kernel files to it, insert the kernel modules, and then we like to update the zImage. 

We recompiled the kernel to have module MTD support, we identified all the ko files. We have tried to insert the following modules: 

mtd_blkdevs.ko 

mtdblock.ko 

mtdchar.ko 

cfi_cmdset_0001.ko 

cfi_cmdset_0002.ko 

cfi_probe.ko 

chipreg.ko 

gen_probe.ko 

physmap.ko 

When we insert the last kernel module (physmap.ko), it is suppose to create: /proc/mtd 

We don't see this entry. 

We have also tried to create the block and character devices in the /dev directory. But so far it doesn't work. 

What are we missing? 

Help!!!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately this approach won't work, as long as you don't have defined the devices as part of your kernel (or in a device tree in more recent versions of the kernel). 

I assume you already read http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/mtd about which configuration is needed for which type of flash (CFI, EPCS, NAND)? 

You could try to write your own module (or load a device tree including the flash devices), registering the devices with the kernel and then loading the modules you specified.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes I followed the instructions in the wiki. 

Using another board, I created a new OS with MTD support. It works. I copied all the ko files from that system to the other card that I can only access via telnet/ftp. I tried to create all the device components in the dev directory, and then I tried to insert the modules. Which of course did not work. 

How do register a device with the kernel? 

Thanks
0 Kudos