Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Altera/Microtronix NiosII Eval. Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I ordered the $295 Altera/Microtronix NiosII Eval. Kit from Altera and looked at Altera NiosII VHDL example codes for the "niosII_cyclone_1c12" kit. Even the "full -featured" example does not have Ethernet function. 

Has anyone implemented Ethernet on the kit using NiosII? 

I would like to down load some waveform data to the SDRAM using ethernet and then output waveform to the user I/Os. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have the board infront of me at the moment, but I do know that you need a license file for that specific Ethernet device (it's not the same as the Nios Development Kits). 

When I was messing around with that board I had a design that used that Ethernet controller, however without the license I could not re-compile the hardware.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are right about the license of Ethernet MAC from MorethanIP. I am wandering if anyone have used Ethernet MAC core from "OpenCores.org" on the NiosII Eval Kit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by yahoo2003@Feb 15 2005, 08:52 AM 

you are right about the license of ethernet mac from morethanip.  i am wandering if anyone have used ethernet mac core from "opencores.org" on the niosii eval kit. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, 

We sure have. You can purchase the OpenCores.org EMAC package from Microtronix. It includes the basic core available from OpenCores.org plus the following features: 

- SOPC Builder component that integrates the core into the Altera tool flow 

- Reference design for our uKit and the Altera Evaluation Kit 

- uClinux driver (there is one with the distribution, but the one with this package will always be up to date) 

- Avalon bus interface 

Later this week, we will be updating the current CD to include a reference design that combines the Stand Alone LWIP component with the OpenCores.org EMAC, which will allow you to add ethernet without needing an operating system.  

The cost for this solution is only $249, and that is all you will ever have to pay - no further licensing or royalty fees. You get the source code, and can recompile the design for your custom project. 

you can order the cd here (http://www.microtronix.com/acatalog/software_and_accessories.html). 

You might want to wait until the end of the week to get the new update. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Regards, 

Robert 

Microtronix
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds a great solution. As I mentioned in the first post, my application is very simple: Ethernet to SDRAM. I would like to have a reference design for host to Cyclone data transfer using socket (Plug?) without OS. 

I am wandering what is average data throughput from host to SDRAM using the core and Eval Kit. 

I like the hardware of Eval kit because I'm planning to use Firefly modules in my design. 

Does the core support other PHYs in case the TDK PHY is not available? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by yahoo2003@Feb 15 2005, 03:47 PM 

it sounds a great solution.  as i mentioned in the first post, my application is very simple:  ethernet to sdram.  i would like to have a reference design for host to cyclone data transfer using socket (plug?) without os. 

i am wandering what is average data throughput from host to sdram using the core and eval kit. 

i like the hardware of eval kit because i'm planning to use firefly modules in my design. 

does the core support other phys in case the tdk phy is not available? 

thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, 

We will be releasing updated stats for the EMAC in a datasheet reasonably soon. We will be testing it with uClinux as well as stand alone. We will also be doing some improvements for the next release (1.2 - within the next couple of months) that should increase the performance. 

What I can tell you for now is that the EMAC performs as well as other solutions currently available. 

You can use another PHY with a little work. Currently we support the TDK PHY so that is the one that works "out of the box". 

Let me know if you have any further questions either on this board or at our sales address on our website. 

Robert Brookes 

microtronix (http://www.microtronix.com)
0 Kudos