Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Altera SPI linux kernel module documentation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I would like to know if there is a documentation page for the spi_altera linux kernel module.  

Currently I am trying to use an Altera SPI(3 Wire Serial) bus master controller on QSYS, bridged under a PCI express interface of a Cyclone IV board. So I wish to access a spi device through the spi master controller firmware on the Cyclone IV board via PCI-E from my Ubuntu x86 PC.  

Using my custom kernel module I can successful read and write to an On Chip RAM firmware and some output pins . I have instantiated the altera spi kernel module to access the spi controller through my module, creating the "/sys/class/spi_master/spi0" directory, but I don't know how to use it, so I found out that I need a protocol driver to actually create an /dev/ entry. I tried to configure a spi_board_info on my kernel module and associate the spidev protocol driver, as in: 

static struct spi_board_info my_spi_board_info[] = { 

.modalias = "spidev", 

.max_speed_hz = 127551, 

.bus_num = 0, 

.chip_select = 0, 

.mode = SPI_CPOL | SPI_CPHA, 

but I don't know what to do now, on some examples across the internet I saw people using "spi_register_board_info(my_spi_board_info, ARRAY_SIZE(my_spi_board_info));" on the init part of the spi module instantialization to associate this struct with the controller, that gives the message "undefined reference to spi_register_board_info(..." even when I have the "#include </linux/spi/spi.h>" line. 

I tried to associate this with the platform_data, as I saw on other example, as in: 

static struct spi_board_info my_spi_board_info[] = { 

.modalias = "spidev", 

.max_speed_hz = 127551, 

.bus_num = 0, 

.chip_select = 0, 

.mode = SPI_CPOL | SPI_CPHA, 

static struct altera_spi_platform_data my_spi_plat_data = { //<=== 

.pin_cs = 0, 

.board_info = my_spi_board_info, 

.board_size = ARRAY_SIZE(my_spi_board_info), 

static int my_spi_i2c_init(struct my_device *my_device){ 

int status, i; 

if (!(my_spi = (struct platform_device *) kzalloc(sizeof(struct platform_device)* ARRAY_SIZE(spi_master_resource),GFP_KERNEL))){ 

status = -ENOMEM; 

return status; 

spi_master_resource[0].start = my_device->base_addr_pci + SPI_0_OFFT; 

spi_master_resource[0].end = (spi_master_resource[0].start + SPI_0_SIZE) - 1; 

spi_master_resource[0].flags = IORESOURCE_MEM; 

my_spi->name = "spi_altera"; 

my_spi->id = 0; 

my_spi->num_resources = ARRAY_SIZE(spi_master_resource); 

my_spi->resource = spi_master_resource; 

my_spi->dev.platform_data = &my_spi_plat_data; //<=== 

status = platform_device_register(my_spi); 

spi = platform_get_drvdata(my_spi); 

return status; 

As I adapted my_spi_plat_data data directly from another spi driver example, of other device, I found nowhere where the struct altera_spi_platform_data is defined,, only that on the official altera kernel module source file spi-altera.c it is used. So the compiler says: 

"error : variable 'my_spi_plat_data' has initializer but imcomplete type" 

How I can use spidev with my spi altera bus controller device, is there any example on how to use it? I must reiterate that I'm not using Linux on NIOS II, but a Linux x86 PC connected to my fpga board through PCI express.
0 Kudos
0 Replies