Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Although Unofficially Supported, how to get EDS on Ubuntu running

James_B
New Contributor II

I know that EDS is not "officially" supported on the latest Ubuntu. (18.04, etc.) I am using Linux Mint 19 based off of Ubuntu and have Quartus running just fine, after updating libpng12. Now, despite updating GTK and fixing the libstd* issues, I can get EDS to run, however, there are often option boxes that "just don't work." What really has to happen here to get EDS MARS 4.5.2 running on latest Ubuntu? Why is th EDS vesion so old?

Considering that the competition has their EDS running smoothly on the latest Linux, what it is going to take for Intel to follow suit? The world does not all use Windows. As an Altera user for 20+ years, I would expect more.

Thanks. James

1 Solution
JosephC_Intel

Hi James,

First of all, thanks for continuing using Intel product for more than 2 decades and that this is astonishing . From your description, it seems like we got to deal with a lot more compilers & dependencies that need to be fix first in order to get the EDS up and run on Ubuntu18.X.

There are pros & cons using latest Linux Operating System where we might need to deal with upgrade/downgrade the Linux Operating Environment set in order to make it works.

We understand your concerned about the old EDS version support but there is a series of consideration from marketing, resources availability, demand, stability, maintaining & etc perspective need to taken care off.

However, the alternative recommendation provided by JOHI earlier was something worth to be consider or as what you mentioned -Yeah - Go for Windows where we have more users and resources to cover this.

Here is the official communication about EDS across different OS'es for your perusal:

Operating System Support:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html

EDS Features & Availability:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/soc-eds/getting-started.html

So, based on the OS support table, we have both NIOS II EDS (Pro & Standard) supported on Windows. We will bring your input about old EDS version support on Linux back to our PSG-FPGA Division but there is no guarantee at all for enable this features in near future.

I hope you can understand this and wish to see you in others thread.

Thanks,

Joseph

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JOHI
New Contributor II

Hello,

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=205&No=1046&PartNo=4

Contains a tutorial for the DE10-Nano control panel application.

It explains how to install Ubuntu on a VM on Windows, install SOCEDS and the rest of the things you need.

It is 120 pages long, but a very very good totorial to get started.

Best Regards,

Johi.

0 Kudos
James_B
New Contributor II

Johi, Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. I reviewed the document that you referenced, and it is very good in terms of setting up Ubuntu VM with support for the Qt development tools and SoC EDS. However, I am looking for Nios II EDS support within Ubuntu / Mint latest .

The issue overall seems to be the java version incompatibility, i.e. version 7 is what SoC EDS wants while version 8 and above is what is available in Ubuntu latest versions. While I can get Quartus to run in the latest version of Ubuntu / Mint, I cannot get EDS to do so.

Perhaps I need to setup a Windows VM to run EDS within my Linux Host. Sounds unpleasant to run Windows just for EDS, but okay.

Thank you. James

James_B
New Contributor II

Perhaps another alternative here when running something like Ubuntu / Mint (or MX-Linux) is to simply use CentOS 6 in a VM to enable a complete solution under Linux. Running the Nios II EDS on CentOS VM should "work" as outlined in the officially supported systems from the documentation as equivalent to RHEL6. James

0 Kudos
JosephC_Intel

Hi James,

First of all, thanks for continuing using Intel product for more than 2 decades and that this is astonishing . From your description, it seems like we got to deal with a lot more compilers & dependencies that need to be fix first in order to get the EDS up and run on Ubuntu18.X.

There are pros & cons using latest Linux Operating System where we might need to deal with upgrade/downgrade the Linux Operating Environment set in order to make it works.

We understand your concerned about the old EDS version support but there is a series of consideration from marketing, resources availability, demand, stability, maintaining & etc perspective need to taken care off.

However, the alternative recommendation provided by JOHI earlier was something worth to be consider or as what you mentioned -Yeah - Go for Windows where we have more users and resources to cover this.

Here is the official communication about EDS across different OS'es for your perusal:

Operating System Support:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html

EDS Features & Availability:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/soc-eds/getting-started.html

So, based on the OS support table, we have both NIOS II EDS (Pro & Standard) supported on Windows. We will bring your input about old EDS version support on Linux back to our PSG-FPGA Division but there is no guarantee at all for enable this features in near future.

I hope you can understand this and wish to see you in others thread.

Thanks,

Joseph

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
James_B
New Contributor II

Quoting you "From your description, it seems like we got to deal with a lot more compilers & dependencies that need to be fix first in order to the the EDS up and run on Ubuntu 18..X"

I would disagree with this statement. You simply need to get EDS running with the latest versions of Eclipse. The current EDS port is on such an old version of Eclipse / JAVA and this is what creates the difficulty. I thought Intel / Altera was essentially an EDA company. Why are there no resources to do this?

James

0 Kudos