Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Annoying error message during build with Nios2 EDS V20.1 on windows 10

raviganesh
Novice

I am able to build successfully but also get these annoying messages...

ravi@DESKTOP-AU89ANE:/mnt/d/1_k32p/a_fpga/k32pNios$ make
Info: Building /mnt/d/1_k32p/a_fpga/k32pNios_bsp
make --no-print-directory -C /mnt/d/1_k32p/a_fpga/k32pNios_bsp
[BSP build complete]
cd ..; powershell.exe ./a.ps1
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /usr/local/sbin
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /usr/local/bin
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /usr/sbin
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /usr/bin
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /sbin
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /bin
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /usr/games
<3>init: (1684) ERROR: UtilTranslatePathList:2021: Failed to translate /usr/local/games
Sep 25, 2021 3:46:52 AM - (INFO) elf2hex: args = --input=./k32pNios/k32pNios.elf --output=./e32p/cpu/InsMem.hex --width=
32 --base=0x00020000 --end=0x0024fff --record=4 --verbose

How can this be turned off?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
raviganesh
Novice

The only useful thing this file "nios2_command_shell.sh" does when Nios II Command Shell is opened is to set three paths.

Most of the utilities like elf2hex, quartus_asm.exe are native windows executables.

Hence I use powershell entirely for post build. This is how my post build script has become:

$env:Path += ";E:\intelFPGA\20.1\nios2eds\bin; E:\intelFPGA\20.1\nios2eds\bin\gnu\H-x86_64-mingw32\bin; E:\intelFPGA\20.1\quartus\bin64"

quartus_cdb.exe ./e32p/krx -c krb0 --update_mif

-- Add whatever you want to do post build---

No more WSL nagging message!!
PS: Using PowerShell over cmd.exe was a personal preference!

raviganesh
Novice

Rant:

Atmel Studio Uses GNU. Even Arduino uses GNU. Intalling them is breeze.

Has anyone installed Nios 2 EDS 20.1 in windows. It is so painful.

Why did Altera become Intel!!!

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel
raviganesh
Novice

The annoying error messages are from WSL only. I would recommend not to use WSL for the windows tools like elf2hex and other post build activity. Instead use cmd.exe or Powershell. I find that WSL is used only by Eclipse IDE for "make" and "link" and a windows user can be agonistic to WSL as far as Quartus and Nios2 EDS are concerned. 

In the next versions of Quartus, I would like to have

1. Full Eclipse IDE packaged

2. A minimal Linux Kernl packaged instead of downloading Ubuntu18.1LTS

3. Make, dos2unix and other stuff packaged instead of using "apt"

Well in the future version I would like to have

1. Visual Studio Code as the IDE and windows ported "make" using GNU C (just like arduino)

And lastly I would like to have

Atom soft processor instead of ARM NIOS and Intel C compiler/Visual studio C compiler and full Visual Studio Code IDE.

Looks like a nice dream ??

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, we will channel it to our internal team.