Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Any easy way to get a bare metal image on SD card?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello: 

I am the hardware guy working on a Cyclone V design. I have prototype boards that we are trying to bring up and then hand off to the software guys. 

Currently, I have checked out the power supplies on the board and have managed to configure the FPGA with an image that simply blinks an LED and configures the ARM HPS system. 

I was careful to keep match the HPS configuration that was used on one of the evaluation boards as much as possible, such as the selection of UART0, SD card, etc. My hope was that the same preloader image that was used on the eval board would work on my board. 

So now I would like to see if the ARM is actually alive. I have read various documents that refer to a 'bare metal preloader' that has 'hello world' option. I would really like one of these now! 

Okay, I also read the documents that describe how to create such a beast. Unfortunately, I am the hardware guy, and most of it is greek to me.  

Is there any way that I can just buy a micro SD card with the bare metal preloader image on it? 

thanks 

Rod
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Rod, 

if your evaluation board is one of these: 

DE0-nano / DE10-nano 

EBV Socrates 

Cyclone V SX SoC Development Board 

We have pre-loader SD images for these boards and will more than happy to share them with you. 

You can contact me at 

ericv*AT*code-time.com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Understand you may not using the same Altera board, but the usage is actually the same 

The best place to start with the bare metal is refer to the wiki below:- 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/socedsgettingstarted 

Regards, 

CloseCL 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Rod, 

if your evaluation board is one of these: 

DE0-nano / DE10-nano 

EBV Socrates 

Cyclone V SX SoC Development Board 

We have pre-loader SD images for these boards and will more than happy to share them with you. 

You can contact me at 

ericv*AT*code-time.com 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, 

Understand you may not using the same Altera board, but the usage is actually the same 

Regards, 

CloseCL 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Rod, 

Regards, 

CloseCL 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

The best place to start with the bare metal is refer to the wiki SoCEDSGettingStarted 

Regards, 

CloseCL 

0 Kudos