Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Arm DS5 debugger Issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to load a hello world program directly into the on chip RAM of the altera Cyclone 5 sockit. The first time I did this some time ago, I did not seem to have an issue. However, since then every time i try to debug one of the cores, eclipse tells me : Cannot connect to TCP:localhost. I am wondering if I am just doing something stupid or what. I have tried a debugger script which does nothing. It seems like eclipse cannot connect to localhost. I have no firewalls. 

Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go under run-Debug configurations and make sure you have the right jtag interface selected and that you have drivers for it

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the response.  

I am fairly confident I have things setup correctly. In device manager, under jtag cables I can see CV sockit jtag and serial console. The device installed the drivers correctly when I powered the sockit on. Additionally, under target connection, I have USB blaster selected and for bare metal debug: CV sockit on localhost USB1. I think that if things were mis configured in this area, I would not get the bare metal debug option that pops up with the CV sockit connection.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some more information after digging around for awhile. If I click on one of the errors it says "debug_server.py failed during execution. Port 3010 already in use. This would indicate that gdb is trying to use port 3010 and is blocked. However, it's not blocked to my knowledge! If I run netstat, I can see that port 3010 does not appear to be in use.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had a similar problem when my DS-5 instance was crashing frequently due to an Eclipse bug. When I restarted DS-5 I would receive the error you posted. A Google search for that error came up with this solution: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/fb145963.html 

Which was not helpful because I knew I didn't have an instance running. After some experimentation with "ps -ef" I discovered that my problem was the "vstrm_serverd_rddi" process still running in the background. I manually killed the process and I was immediately able to reconnect to my debug target. Try that and see if it helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

mborden: Thanks for the reply 

I hate to say it, but since I was not able to fix the bug at the time, I have since moved to xilinx Zynq :P. It is a shame, because I really liked the Cyclone SOC. The xilinx tools are completely free for the Zynq processor, and the SOCs have similar functionalities... so rather than bang my head against the wall...  

The fix you suggested could work; however, I have to say, that I won't be trying it at the moment. I have since then uninstalled all Altera tools due to hard drive space. If I end up coming back to the Cyclone SOC, I will give your suggestion a shot. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can reboot the computer.I solve the problem by this way

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am facing the same problem. "Cannot connect to TCP:localhost" 

I have tried to resolve it by minimizing the jtag frequency but still it's having the same problem. 

Can anyone have a solution for it??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get this message sometimes when the CPU crashes. It can mean that the debugger can't contact the CPU. Did you try to reset and/or to power cycle your board? Are you sure its working correctly and that the HPS gets a valid clock input? Did you install a preloader and does it run? Did you check the boot_sel, clk_sel and HPS reset pins?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your valuable reply Daixiwen. 

Yes, I have tried by resetting it and making it on and off many a times. 

And I have verified the HPS by checking the clocks at SDCARD on power on means HPS clocks out to the SDCARD to boot. 

Another thing is that I haven't get any messages or data on console UART on power on HPS. 

Thanks and regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I got this error while start debugging. 

Starting debug server 

Waiting for debug server to start accepting connections 

Debug server started successfully 

ERROR failed to connect to RDDI DAP target 

RDDI Error Code 4107 : Error reading device chain: aji_read_device_chain returned 87 

RDDI CFG = C:\intelFPGA\16.1\embedded\host_tools\cygwin\tmp\ds5_4785617852324024448.txt 

thanks 

Krunal Gandhi
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there a preloader installed on the SD card? If not it could explain why the CPU crashes at start.

0 Kudos