Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Arria 10 EPCQL Controller

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to program my EPCQ-512L from the HPS running Linux. I have the Altera Serial Flash Controller connected from its avl_csr and avl_mem connected to the HPS using the hps2fpga lightweight bridge. I have tried to write the EPCQ and have been successful in writing zeroes. From what I have gathered, I need to erase the sector, then write my values because it erasing sets all the values in the sector to '1'. Here lies my problem; following https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf , starting on page 153 about the Altera Serial Flash Controller I tried to write to the FLASH_MEM_OP register to erase sectors. I tried writing 0x2 to the register to erase the sector data, but nothing seems to change. I have tried writing other values and from what I can see (when reading the values back from the epcq) there is never a change. I also tried reading the status register to see if there are processes occurring, but it always reads 0. 

Also when I try to read either the FLASH_RD_SID, FLASH_RD_RDID, FLASH_ISR, or FLASH_IMR, the HPS seems to stop responding and I need to reload my .sof. I use either ssh terminal or serial terminal to communicate with my system and when I try to read any of the mentioned registers, the system stops responding on both ssh and serial. I have other signals connected to the lightweight bridge and I have not run into this symptom before. I think this could be part of the problem; maybe the control register is not working at all, but I am not sure where to start debugging this. Any help or points in a direction would be much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance :)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi again, 

As an update I still have not gotten it to work. I also tried the Altera Serial Flash Controller II, but I cannot seem to get the erase function to work. I can read the interrupts without my system freezing. What is the difference between Serial Flash Controller I and II. I know that II has more registers than I. I am currently trying to use the Altera ASMI Parallel II IP Core, but I am having the same problem where I cannot get the erase to work properly. It seems that I can read the status register and the flag status register, but I'm not sure if it is working properly because if I read the flag status register after I write the 4byte addressing register, it still reads 0 instead of 1 because of the 4-byte addressing mode enable. Anyone else have problems getting the Serial Flash Controller or ASMI Parallel IP core to work? Is it because I am using the lw hps2fpga bridge to write to the IP core? It seems that it should work in the same fashion as other avalon memory mapped interfaces.  

Thank you
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Found the problem. It turns out that the documentation (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf) has the WRITE ENABLE BIT marked as reserved! So without the write enable bit, the controller never erases the memory. I found this out by looking at the NIOS driver code that was generated using the bsp editor.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

I'm actually confronting the same problem. 

I'm using NIOS to write to EPCQL256 using asmi2. 

Can you be more specific - which bit?? 

can you pinpoint me in the bsp code?? 

I'm trying to write to FLASH_MEM_OP to bit 0 and 1. 

did you set a chip select. 

I will be appreciate to any help
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Sorry I must have replied too quickly and forgot the details!  

For the FLASH_MEM_OP, bit 3 is the write enable bit. First you need to write bit 3 and the sector number, THEN write bits 0 and 1 with the erase command and the sector number. I tried to write the write enable bit and the erase bit at the same time, but that did not work. However, this is all for the Serial Flash Controller II. I am not using asmi2, but according to the documentation, the serial flash controller is just a wrapper over the asmi ip.  

For the generated driver code I was talking about, I generated it using the bsp editor and it should be under projectName_bsp -> drivers. The headers and source reg and driver files should be there. However, like I said before, I never tried generating it for asmi II, but I did try using asmi2, but gave up and went back to serial flash controller ii. I am using the HPS to try to program, but wanted figure out if my problem was with my code or the IP so I tried using NIOS.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm going to check it  

Did you use ? 

MEM_BASE or CSR_BASE???
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you mean the avl_csr or avl_mem? I used csr base for the erase command and mem base is to read and write to the epcq itself.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok 

Can you give an example?? 

I will appreciate - I'm on it for the last week 

Thanks in advance
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is a copy pasta of the code from the NIOS driver: 

/* calculate current sector/block number */ sector_number = (block_offset/(epcq_flash_info->sector_size)); /* sector value should occupy bits 23:8 */ mem_op_value = (sector_number << 8) & ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_SECTOR_VALUE_MASK; /* write enable command */ mem_op_value |= ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_WRITE_ENABLE_CMD; /* write sector erase command to EPCQ_MEM_OP register to erase sector "sector_number" */ IOWR_ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP(epcq_flash_info->csr_base, mem_op_value); /* sector value should occupy bits 23:8 */ mem_op_value = (sector_number << 8) & ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_SECTOR_VALUE_MASK; /* sector erase commands 0b10 occupies lower 2 bits */ mem_op_value |= ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_SECTOR_ERASE_CMD; /* write sector erase command to EPCQ_MEM_OP register to erase sector "sector_number" */ IOWR_ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP(epcq_flash_info->csr_base, mem_op_value); /* check whether erase triggered a illegal erase interrupt */ if((IORD_ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_ISR(epcq_flash_info->csr_base) & ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_ISR_ILLEGAL_ERASE_MASK) == ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_ISR_ILLEGAL_ERASE_ACTIVE) { /* clear register */ /* EPCQ_ISR access is write one to clear (W1C) */ IOWR_ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_ISR(epcq_flash_info->csr_base, ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_ISR_ILLEGAL_ERASE_MASK ); return -EIO; /* erase failed, sector might be protected */ } 

I am not sure what type of example you're looking for though...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Limshutian 

I've changed my bsp - and I have flash specific functions from the BSP like: 

alt_32 altera_epcq_controller2_init(alt_epcq_controller2_dev *flash) 

alt_u32 silicon_id = 0; 

alt_u32 size_in_bytes = 0; 

alt_u32 number_of_sectors = 0; 

right now - 

I'm tryng to open device using it's name - i do not get any fd from it. 

Did you use it like this? trying to open the device with alt_flash_open_dev??? 

I actually tried to run the example program. 

alt_flash_fd* fd; 

int ret_code; 

char source[BUF_SIZE]; 

char dest[BUF_SIZE]; 

/* Initialize the source buffer to all 0xAA */ 

memset(source, 0xAA, BUF_SIZE); 

fd = alt_flash_open_dev("/dev/ext_flash"); 

if (fd!=NULL) 

ret_code = alt_write_flash(fd, 0, source, BUF_SIZE); 

if (ret_code==0) 

{
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've managed to make it work - I've to uncomment the hal.use_small_foot_print. 

Right now - i'm having the same problem - you saw. 

freezing when erasing sectors 

can you be more specific with "For the FLASH_MEM_OP, bit 3 is the write enable bit. First you need to write bit 3 and the sector number, THEN write bits 0 and 1 with the erase command and the sector number" 

This is what I see 

# define ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_CMD_MASK (0x00000003) 

# define ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_BULK_ERASE_CMD (0x00000001) 

# define ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_SECTOR_ERASE_CMD (0x00000002) 

# define ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_SECTOR_PROTECT_CMD (0x00000003)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am using Cyclone 10 LP and Altera Serial Flash Controller II IP core. I am using Quartus Prime standard edition, V17.1 In my case also, it hangs when erase function is called. In both of following functions, alt_erase_flash_block and alt_write_flash erase routine is called and hence when I call any of them, it hangs. 

In alt_epcq_controller2_erase_block function, I made following change. (remember this is a manual change. Hence if you generate BSP again, this will get lost.) 

Instead of following 

/* write enable command */ 

mem_op_value |= ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_WRITE_ENABLE_CMD; 

I used following: 

/* Unprotect flash. */ 

mem_op_value |= ALTERA_EPCQ_CONTROLLER2_MEM_OP_SECTOR_PROTECT_CMD; 

Not sure how it works. But it works! With this, it no longer hangs. (P.S. I got this idea by looking at flash_qspi.c file.) 

Perhaps somebody from Intel team might be able to give some insight into this. 

Cheers, 

Bhaumik