Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Arria 10 with separate hardened DDR controller for PL and HPS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have come up with a set of requirements for the memory and I realized my PL memory needs are critical. 

I understand there is a x72 DDR4 hardened PHY+Controller+MPFE in the Arria10 and I'd like to reserve it for the PL. 

We will also need external memory access for the Linux O/S running on the HPS. 

Is there a second DDR hardened PHY+Controller+MPFE that I could use for the HPS? 

Eric
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you can have external memory on both HPS and FPGA, as shown in the attached picture.  

I encourage you to read the following doc to know more about the I/O bank assignments for the HPS: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an-a10-soc-device-design-guidelines.pdf
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there linux support to access FPGA DDR?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is there linux support to access FPGA DDR? 

--- Quote End ---  

Are you saying you would like to use HPS to access the FPGA DDR memory over the H2F bridge? Right now I don't think the HPS can support 2 memory controller instances (one in its own HPS DDR and the other FPGA memory) - besides, it would be quite inefficient to do it over the H2F bridge. I believe letting the FPGA access the HPS DDR over the F2S bridge is a better alternative.