Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Arria II GX devkit - CFI Flash - probe failed on uCLinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been trying to use the CFI Flash on the "Arria II FPGA Development kit, 6G edition" but I just can't get it to work. 

The flash is a Numonyx 512P30 (P/N PC28F512P30EF). The error I get during uCLinux boot is: 

of-flash 0.flash: do_map_probe() failed 

The device is successfully added to QSys, it works fine outside uCLinux (with Altera's HAL + SBT) 

I'm quite sure my kernel configuration is OK because it is able to probe the CFI flash on DE2-115 board. 

The DTS file seems to be fine as well. 

If anyone could please answer any of the following questions: 

* Have anyone already got this particular CFI Flash chip to work on uCLinux? 

* If this chip is not supported, how should I add support to it? Is linux-2.6.x/include/config/mtd/jedecprobe.h the right file to edit? Could be adding an entry to the table at the top of the file enough? 

* An alternative would be porting the Altera's HAL driver to uCLinux. If I could use alt_write_flash() on uCLinux that would be enough. Any clue on that? 

Thank you so much!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found out that the CFI Flash chip is damaged. It no longer works even with HAL. I've tried with another board and it works on linux. 

Now I have another problem, I guess I should start a new thread.
0 Kudos