Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Arria II GX devkit - CFI Flash - probe failed on uCLinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've been trying to use the CFI Flash on the "Arria II FPGA Development kit, 6G edition" but I just can't get it to work. 

The flash is a Numonyx 512P30 (P/N PC28F512P30EF). The error I get during uCLinux boot is: 

of-flash 0.flash: do_map_probe() failed 

The device is successfully added to QSys, it works fine outside uCLinux (with Altera's HAL + SBT) 

I'm quite sure my kernel configuration is OK because it is able to probe the CFI flash on DE2-115 board. 

The DTS file seems to be fine as well. 

If anyone could please answer any of the following questions: 

* Have anyone already got this particular CFI Flash chip to work on uCLinux? 

* If this chip is not supported, how should I add support to it? Is linux-2.6.x/include/config/mtd/jedecprobe.h the right file to edit? Could be adding an entry to the table at the top of the file enough? 

* An alternative would be porting the Altera's HAL driver to uCLinux. If I could use alt_write_flash() on uCLinux that would be enough. Any clue on that? 

Thank you so much!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found out that the CFI Flash chip is damaged. It no longer works even with HAL. I've tried with another board and it works on linux. 

Now I have another problem, I guess I should start a new thread.