Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Arrow Sockit boot from qspi problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I'm working with a custom board Arrow Sockit, my current goal is just booting from QSPI Flash and receive something through serial console. 

At this moment I uploaded the preloader-mkpimage.bin generated by the bsp-editor, but when board is resetted nothing appears in serial console. 

The process followed was (according to https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/gsrd131qspiboot): 

1. Compile the GHRD as described in Compiling the Hardware Design to obtain the handoff folder. 

2. In bsp-editor options "BOOT_FROM_QSPI" was checked, "QSPI_NEXT_BOOT_IMAGE"=0x60000. After that File-> Save, and Generate. 

3. Then "SoC EDS Command Shell" in ".../software/spl_bsp" and executed "make" command. 

4. Build U-boot from the Yocto package, edit the file "build.h" to use QSPI instead on SD/MMC. Recompile the u-boot. 

5. Create DTB file soc_system.dtb with 3 partitions, update the dtb on the DOS partition on the SD card, boot Linux: 

root@arrow_sockit:~# cat /proc/mtd  

dev: size erasesize name  

mtd0: 00800000 00010000 "Flash 0 Raw Data"  

mtd1: 01000000 00010000 "Flash 1 jffs2 Filesystem"  

mtd2: 00800000 00010000 "FPGA Image"  

6. Write the files (preloader-mkpimage.bin, u-boot-socfpga_cyclone5-1.0-r0.img, soc_system.dtb) to the SD card DOS partition, in a new folder named qspi_files. Run "flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0" and transfer the preloader and the u-boot to QSPI Flash memory board to address 0x000000 "preloader-mkpimage.bin", 0x50000 "soc_system.dtb" and 0x60000 "u-boot-socfpga_cyclone5-1.0-r0.img". 

7.Configure board to boot from QSPI (BootSEL=111), restart the board with a serial terminal (115200bps 8-N-1 configuration with No flow control) and nothing appears.
0 Kudos
0 Replies