Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12421 Discussions

Avalon -> Dual Port RAM -> custom hardware interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am creating a custom memory mapped device and need to create an 8k byte block of dual port RAM with write-only access from NIOS, and read-only access from the custom hardware side. 

RAM needs to be internal to the Cyclone IV FPGA. 

I have found a dual-port Avalon memory part within SOPC builder, but feel that I don't need anything quite as elaborate as Avalon on the custom hardware side. 

Having said that, the custom hardware will be reading a byte every 8th clock cycle at 50Mhz, so I will need the Avalon / NIOS side to generate wait states should a bus conflict occur. 

Any pointers appreciated before I go-chasing-my-tail for a week. 

Many thanks, 

Mark
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Creating what you want is as simple as the attached - a VHDL 'interface' that contains the mapping from Avalon signals to RAM signals. Use the component generator to build a _hw.tcl and export the ram_xx signals as a conduit. You can then instantiate the RAM and the control logic on the other port of the RAM outside the SOPC/Qsys system. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Many thanks Dave, 

That attachment is very well documented and should be a good starting point 

-Mark