Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Avalon -> Dual Port RAM -> custom hardware interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am creating a custom memory mapped device and need to create an 8k byte block of dual port RAM with write-only access from NIOS, and read-only access from the custom hardware side. 

RAM needs to be internal to the Cyclone IV FPGA. 

I have found a dual-port Avalon memory part within SOPC builder, but feel that I don't need anything quite as elaborate as Avalon on the custom hardware side. 

Having said that, the custom hardware will be reading a byte every 8th clock cycle at 50Mhz, so I will need the Avalon / NIOS side to generate wait states should a bus conflict occur. 

Any pointers appreciated before I go-chasing-my-tail for a week. 

Many thanks, 

Mark
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Creating what you want is as simple as the attached - a VHDL 'interface' that contains the mapping from Avalon signals to RAM signals. Use the component generator to build a _hw.tcl and export the ram_xx signals as a conduit. You can then instantiate the RAM and the control logic on the other port of the RAM outside the SOPC/Qsys system. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Many thanks Dave, 

That attachment is very well documented and should be a good starting point 

-Mark
0 Kudos