Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

BSP Generation Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using NIOS for LCD and Key pad Control, recenlty am trying to interface SRAM for the nios code and have built a QSYS system for the same. when am trying to Re-generate the BSP in NIOS II i am getting the following error, 

Problem Occured: 

"Generate BSP.. keyp_disp_sram_sys_bsp" has encountered a problem 

Error executing ' nios2-bsp-generate-files --bsp-dir--settings settings.bsp, unexpected return code 1 

Error Message: 

SEVERE: BSP not valid 

SEVERE: BSP not valid 

SEVERE: nios2-bsp-generate-files failed 

Please do help me out how i can get out of this.. 

am using the latest build 11.1 sp1 Web edition.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any updates on this error/issue ?? Kindly help in case if you are familiar 

I am not sure regarding the interface of nios-sram output and actual pins of the sram 

i get the following from nios-sram  

address[15..0] 

be_n[1..0] 

data[15..0] 

read_n 

write_n 

select_n 

i am connecting them to the following on sram (CY7C09289) 

address[15..0] - address[15..0] 

be_n[0] - lb_n 

be_n[1] - ub_n 

data[15..0] - data[15..0] 

read_n - oe_n 

write_n - r/w_n 

select_n - ce0_n 

NOT(select_n) - ce1 

i am not sure how to connect the CNTEN_N, CNTRST_N, ADS_N signals !! 

based on the datasheet i am connecting them as (Address load to address register) 

CNTEN_N - XX (Dont care) 

CNTRST_N - HIGH 

ADS_N - LOW  

I compile the quartus and flash the quartus code in JTAG, its fine 

When i try to run NIOS HARDWARE, I am still getting the error i have mentioned earlier - 

"Downloading ELF process failed" - the address location points to the SRAM ! 

Please help at the earliest !!!! Thanks in advance  

I have attached the Cypress SRAM datasheet - i am using one port of the SRAM only
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps the directory is read only. This line doesn't really make sense since the bsp-dir argument isn't set to something valid: 

Error executing ' nios2-bsp-generate-files --bsp-dir--settings settings.bsp, unexpected return code 1 

Have you tried using the command line instead? If you want to see an example go through the Qsys tutorial, there is a script there that builds the BSP and application.