Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Bare-metal project type not available / Altera Bare Metal GCC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using the Cyclone V SocKit and the EDS version 16, (I also tried 15.1). I can't seem to find the Altera Baremetal GCC toolchain. My colleagues are sending me projects built with the "Altera Baremetal GCC toolchain", which my installation is telling me is "Unknown". I added the toolchain in .../embedded/host_tools/mentor/gnu/arm/baremetal, but this shows up as "GCC 5.2.0 (altera-arm-eabi)". Also, if I navigate to File--> New --> 'C' project, there is no "Baremetal executable" project type folder, like much of the documentation shows. I am starting eclipse from the "Altera Embedded Command Shell".  

If I try to build the project anyway, I get the following message:  

Toolchain required to build project is not registered: Altera Baremetal GCC 

Can anyone help me configure my DS-5 install so that I can build this project and other bare-metal projects?  

Thanks
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem. I imported one of the bare-metal examples and then modified the makefile and source code to match my hardware and I was able to run and debug. This will be a pain if this is the way I have to proceed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have the same problem. I imported one of the bare-metal examples and then modified the makefile and source code to match my hardware and I was able to run and debug. This will be a pain if this is the way I have to proceed. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the feedback. A related or resultant problem I'm having is that if I change the toolchain from "Altera Baremetal GCC" to GCC 5.2 (arm-altera-eabi), then the project fails to build, with errors on some assembly code. So, I'm not sure GCC 5.2 (arm-altera-eabi) is equivalent to "Altera Baremetal GCC".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having several issues getting these tools to run. On one machine I can't get the license manager to work. Also, initially I didn't have any options to build bare metal project - and I'm using the embedded command shell to start the program. I finally found a link that tells you how to add toolchains via the GUI. So I've been able to create a bare metal project in the GUI, compile and run it in the debugger using the "arm-altera-eabi" tool chain. However, I wasn't sure how to get the board support package linked to the project. The only thing I can figure out is that you do it with a debugger script. Basically I've been using the "Altera-SocFPGA-HardwareLib-FPGA-CV-GNU-Debug" example to help me figure out what's going on. I've had lots of experience with the Nios and the software processor used by the FPGA guys from the other end of the alphabet but this is a different beast. I realize the best way to learn is to figure stuff on your own but I wish the documentation was a little more explicit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to some support via email from ARM, the arm-altera-eabi GCC is the equivalent to "Altera Baremetal GCC" 

Also, I'm getting projects that think their toolchain is the "Altera Baremetal GCC", and to manually change it the arm-altera-eabi causes me to lose all of the tool settings. Definitely not idea.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm able to get the project (built with Altera Baremetal GCC) converted to the GCC 5.2.0 by manually scanning the origin .cproject xml project description in a text editor, then using the GUI to add these options to my project with the GCC5.2.0. 

The problem I'm hitting now is that the linker fails to find the rdimon library, and it also throws an error on the prescribed linker options --specs=nano.specs and --specs=rdimon.specs
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem could be related to my installing it on Windows 8.1. But I've tried installing it on Windows 7 Pro, and it still doesn't have a GCC Baremetal toolchain.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What finally worked for me was running a program from the embedded command shell. Execute ds5_link.exe from the embedded command shell. The executable was at <eds_install_dir>/embedded/host_tools/altera/ds5_link. 

I can now build projects that are setup for the Altera Baremetal GCC toolchain. I still don't have the Baremetal project type, nor can I select the toolchain when creating a project, but the important thing for me was to be able to collaborate on an existing project configured with the Altera Baremetal GCC.
0 Kudos
RGrot
Novice
0 Kudos