Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Baremetal programming with Arrow Cyclone V SoCKit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this. I have a Arrow Cyclone V SoCKit. I am currently trying to do baremetal programming on it, but I am having a lot of trouble with it. I can't do a basic task like turning on/off the backlight of the LCD. Since I am not using Linux, I can't use the "hps_lcd" example code as is so I had to do some modifications. In the example code they use this snippet of code to get the virtual base address: 

// map the address space for the LED registers into user space so we can interact with them. // we'll actually map in the entire CSR span of the HPS since we want to access various registers within that span if( ( fd = open( "/dev/mem", ( O_RDWR | O_SYNC ) ) ) == -1 ) { printf( "ERROR: could not open \"/dev/mem\"...\n" ); return( 1 ); } virtual_base = mmap( NULL, HW_REGS_SPAN, ( PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE ), MAP_SHARED, fd, HW_REGS_BASE ); 

They then pass the virtual_base to LCDHW_Init: 

# define HW_REGS_BASE ( ALT_STM_OFST )# define HW_REGS_SPAN ( 0x04000000 )# define HW_REGS_MASK ( HW_REGS_SPAN - 1 ) # define HPS_LCM_D_C_BIT_GPIObit62_GPIOreg2 ( 0x00000010 )# define HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ( 0x00080000 ) # define HPS_LCM_BACKLIHGT_BIT_GPIObit40_GPIOreg1 ( 0x00000800 ) //////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////// lcd reset // set the direction of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD RESETn to output alt_setbits_word( ( virtual_base + ( ( uint32_t )( ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DDR_ADDR ) & ( uint32_t )( HW_REGS_MASK ) ) ), HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ); // set the value of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD RESETn to zero alt_clrbits_word( ( virtual_base + ( ( uint32_t )( ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DR_ADDR ) & ( uint32_t )( HW_REGS_MASK ) ) ), HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ); usleep( 1000000 / 16 ); // set the value of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD RESETn to one alt_setbits_word( ( virtual_base + ( ( uint32_t )( ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DR_ADDR ) & ( uint32_t )( HW_REGS_MASK ) ) ), HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ); usleep( 1000000 / 16 ); //////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////////////////////////////////////////////////// //////// turn-on backlight // set the direction of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD Backlight to output alt_setbits_word( ( virtual_base + ( ( uint32_t )( ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DDR_ADDR ) & ( uint32_t )( HW_REGS_MASK ) ) ), HPS_LCM_BACKLIHGT_BIT_GPIObit40_GPIOreg1 ); // set the value of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD Backlight to ZERO, turn OFF the Backlight alt_clrbits_word( ( virtual_base + ( ( uint32_t )( ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DR_ADDR ) & ( uint32_t )( HW_REGS_MASK ) ) ), HPS_LCM_BACKLIHGT_BIT_GPIObit40_GPIOreg1 ); 

I modifed the above to this that does not use the virtual_base and replaced the usleep with a simple for loop: 

# define HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ( 0x00080000 ) # define HPS_LCM_BACKLIHGT_BIT_GPIObit40_GPIOreg1 ( 0x00000800 ) // set the direction of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD RESETn to output alt_setbits_word(ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DDR_ADDR, HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ); // set the value of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD RESETn to zero alt_clrbits_word(ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DR_ADDR, HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ); for (int i = 0 ; i < 50000; i++); // set the value of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD RESETn to one alt_setbits_word(ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DR_ADDR, HPS_LCM_RESETn_BIT_GPIObit48_GPIOreg1 ); for (int i = 0 ; i < 50000; i++); // set the direction of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD Backlight to output alt_setbits_word(ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DDR_ADDR, HPS_LCM_BACKLIHGT_BIT_GPIObit40_GPIOreg1 ); // set the value of the HPS GPIO1 bits attached to LCD Backlight to ZERO, turn OFF the Backlight alt_clrbits_word(ALT_GPIO1_SWPORTA_DR_ADDR, HPS_LCM_BACKLIHGT_BIT_GPIObit40_GPIOreg1 ); 

It does not work. I tried clearing and setting the LCD backlight bit, but nothing happens. Am I missing something?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

See a http://www.altera.com/support/examples/soc/soc.html page for debbugable popular works from Altera.

DPerr1
Beginner

I had the same problem;

This is because the pinMux is not correctly set. The preloader do this job (cf Warning (11713): The configuration of the Hard Processor Subsystem (HPS) within this design has changed.

The Preloader software that initializes the HPS requires an update.

Using hps_isw_handoff/soc_system_wp4_lcd_only_hps_0/, run the Preloader Support Package Generator to update your Preloader software

).

The required file are in "/hardware/hps_isw_handoff" and the soc_system.sopcinfo

>

So you should rebuild and update it using the makefile which is present in the /hardware project

and also the tool bsp-editor can help