Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

BeMicro: Cant download the .elf file on the board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was trying to go through a tutorial called 'BeMicro Embedded System Lab Instructions'. 

But I am stuck at page 43 . The problem is to download the .elf file in the board. To do this I have to run the project as nios ii hardware on eclipse (nios ii eds). But I don't get any option for run as nios ii hardware.  

I could successfully download the .sof file in the board, so the device driver is working perfectly. 

I am using Windows 7 32 bit. I re-installed two times but the same result. 

How to configure eclipse so that I get the run as nios ii hardware option? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

2 suggestions for trying to workaround this issue. 

a). You're probably now in 'Nios II C/C++ (default)' perspective. You need to change to 'Nios II' perspective. Go to 'Window' --> 'Open Perspective' --> 'Other' and change to 'Nios II'. 

b). If this is not resolved, you need to run the Nios II SBT for Eclipse as with administrator privileges. On the Windows Start menu, point to all programs, point to altera, point to nios ii eds, right-click on nios ii software build tools for eclipse, and select run as administrator

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did what you said. But the result is still the same. Could it be a license problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, Nios II EDS software does not require license. Try to run it on Nios II command shell using the following command since running in SBT Eclipse workspace is unsuccessful.  

To download, you might want to use this command: 

nios2-download -g <software>.elf && nios2-terminal
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much caridee. I am now able to download the .elf file. But can you tell me what else I can do with this Bemicro board? I mean can you refer me any link where I can find some more examples.  

Thanks a lot again :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes this command(nios2-download -g <software>.elf && nios2-terminal) is very useful. i am also new in this but i used that i able to download that file. by the way rest all the things working great.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Coriaa, I would add the additional -r option just in case you have code that doesn't proper drivers: 

nios2-download -r -g <software.elf>; nios-terminal 

The -r resets the system to make sure the entire system returns to the reset state. This is important if you have custom components that don't have HAL drivers that restore the reset state.
0 Kudos