Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Booting from on-chip memory works, but resets every few seconds

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Qsys, I have the cpu reset and exception pointing to a 32-bit wide 28k onchip ram. The linker setting for the nios app has everything pointing to the same onchip ram. 

At the moment, the on chip app code (7k code+initialized data, 21k stack/heap) that's synthesized into the logic design, consists only of: 

// Init System 

alt_irq_init (ALT_IRQ_BASE); 

ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_INIT ( TIMER1_SYSTEM_500US, Timer1_System_500us); 

ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_INIT ( TIMER2_GENERAL_1MS, Timer2_General_1ms); 

ALTERA_AVALON_SYSID_QSYS_INIT ( SYSID, sysid); 

// Init UART 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_CONTROL(UART_DEBUG_BASE, 0x0000); // inhibit all UART IRQ sources 

//alt_ic_isr_register(UART_DEBUG_IRQ_INTERRUPT_CONTROLLER_ID, UART_DEBUG_IRQ, DBG_ISR, &context_dbg_uart, 0x00 ); 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_DIVISOR(UART_DEBUG_BASE, (ALT_CPU_FREQ/DEFAULT_BAUD_RATE_115200) + 1); 

// Reset Status/Error Flags 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_STATUS(UART_DEBUG_BASE, 0); 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_CONTROL(UART_DEBUG_BASE, ALTERA_AVALON_UART_CONTROL_RRDY_MSK ); 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_TXDATA ( UART_DEBUG_BASE , '1' ); 

while ( 1 ) 

while ( 0 == ( ALTERA_AVALON_UART_STATUS_TRDY_MSK & IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_STATUS ( UART_DEBUG_BASE ) )); 

IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_UART_TXDATA ( UART_DEBUG_BASE , '2' ); 

usleep ( 1000000 ); 

When I power-on, I see the '1' across the RS-232, and then the '2', but a second later, I see the '1' again, and the reset led indicator toggles. I'm thinking some (instruction?) exception is being thrown, or perhaps some kind of stack overflow corruption is going on, but I can't find anything unusual.. nor any way to pinpoint what exactly is causing the reset. 

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
0 Replies