Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

Build Error using template: /HAL/src/alt_main.c:154: undefined reference to `main'

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

I'm attempting to use the Nios processor for the first time since i've upgraded to Quartus version 12.1 on a Windows 7 machine. The Nios that comes with this version of Quartus is..Version: Indigo Service Release 2. Build id: 20120216-1857 

The error i get is: 

**** Build of configuration Nios II for project Hello_Led_12_04_13 **** ...... ..... (Plenty of build code) ..... .... Info: Linking Hello_Led_12_04_13.elf nios2-elf-g++ -T'../Hello_Led_12_04_13_bsp//linker.x' -msys-crt0='../Hello_Led_12_04_13_bsp//obj/HAL/src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -L../Hello_Led_12_04_13_bsp/ -Wl,-Map=Hello_Led_12_04_13.map -O0 -g -Wall -EL -mno-hw-div -mhw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -o Hello_Led_12_04_13.elf -lm ../Hello_Led_12_04_13_bsp/\libhal_bsp.a(alt_main.o): In function `alt_main': C:\altera\12.1\WorkingArea\BiggerNios\software\Hello_Led_12_04_13_bsp/HAL/src/alt_main.c:154: undefined reference to `main' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** Error 1 **** Build Finished ****  

The code i am using is an unchanged stock template that comes with the installation. Which is the stock Hello LED template. 

/************************************************************************** * Copyright (c) 2004 Altera Corporation, San Jose, California, USA. * * All rights reserved. All use of this software and documentation is * * subject to the License Agreement located at the end of this file below.* *************************************************************************/ /****************************************************************************** * DANGER ** WARNING ** Please read before proceeding! ** WARNING ** DANGER * ****************************************************************************** * * This program is an example of a "free-standing" C application. If you * modify this example and try to call C library functions such as printf, they * will NOT work unless you explicitly initialize the system, such as in the * hello_alt_main software template. Please see below for details. * * Description * ************* * A very minimal program that simply shifts an LED back and forth. * * Requirements * ************** * According to the ANSI C standard, freestanding programs "own" the hardware, * and cannot rely on system-services or device-drivers being initialized prior * to program-start. A freestanding program is responsible for initializing all * hardware devices, device-drivers, and system-services. Many embedded * programs are, by nature, freestanding. The author relinquishes any illusion * of running their program on a workstation. * * This example is a freestanding program because it's entry point is the * function: * * void alt_main (void) * * As opposed to "main()" as a "hosted" application would (see the * "hello_world" example). * * Upon entry to alt_main(): * - The CPU's caches (if any) have been initialized. * - The stack-pointer has been set. * - That's all. The rest is up to you. * * If you modify this example and try to call C library functions such as * printf, they will NOT work unless you explicitly initialize the system. * If you wish to use C library calls, it is strongly suggested you start * with the hosted hello_world template which uses main() as it's entry * point. * * On the other hand, if you want to write a program that gets-in even * earlier, you will need to provide your own assembly-language machine-setup * code by defining the symbol "_start". Any definition of _start in your * directory will override the library definition. You can find source code * for the Nios II library _start here: * * <NiosII-Kit-Install-Dir>/components/altera_nios2/HAL/src/crt0.S * * This software example requires a system with a PIO peripheral named * "led_pio". The software example will run on the following hardware * examples: * * Nios Development Board, Stratix II Edition: * - Standard * - Small * - Full Featured * * DSP Development Board, Stratix II Edition: * - Standard * - Small * - Full Featured * * Nios Development Board, Stratix Edition: * - Standard * - Small * - Full Featured * * Nios Development Board, Stratix Professional Edition: * - Standard * - Small * - Full Featured * * Nios Development Board, Cyclone Edition: * - Standard * - Small * - Low Cost * - Full Featured * * Peripherals Exercised by SW * ***************************** * The hello_led.c program simply shifts an 8-bit variable back and forth, * writing the variable's value to the system's LED PIO peripheral on every * iteration. * * Software Files * **************** * hello_led.c - Main C file that contains the simple led manipulation routine. * */ # include "system.h"# include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h"# include "alt_types.h" /* * This is a freestanding application, so we want to use alt_main * as the entry point. However, if the debugger is run on this * application, it will try to set a breakpoint at main, which * the application does not contain. The below line creates an * alias so the debugger is able to set a breakpoint at main, * yet the application retains alt_main as it's entry point. */ int main (void) __attribute__ ((weak, alias ("alt_main"))); /* * Use alt_main as entry point for this free-standing application */ int alt_main (void) { alt_u8 led = 0x2; alt_u8 dir = 0; volatile int i; /* * Infinitely shift a variable with one bit set back and forth, and write * it to the LED PIO. Software loop provides delay element. */ while (1) { if (led & 0x81) { dir = (dir ^ 0x1); } if (dir) { led = led >> 1; } else { led = led << 1; } IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, led); /* * The delay element in this design has been written as a while loop * to avoid confusing the software debugger. A tight, one line software * delay loop such as: * for(i=0; i<200000; i++); * can cause problems when it is stepped through using a software debugger. * The while loop below produces the same behavior as the for loop shown * above, but without causing potential debugger problems. */ i = 0; while (i<200000) i++; } return 0; } /****************************************************************************** * * * License Agreement * * * * Copyright (c) 2004 Altera Corporation, San Jose, California, USA. * * All rights reserved. * * * * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a * * copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), * * to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation * * the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, * * and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the * * Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: * * * * The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in * * all copies or substantial portions of the Software. * * * * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR * * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, * * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE * * AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER * * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING * * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER * * DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE. * * * * This agreement shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State * * of California and by the laws of the United States of America. * * Altera does not recommend, suggest or require that this reference design * * file be used in conjunction or combination with any other product. * ******************************************************************************/  

This is my SOPC build. Which should have the PIO periipheral but for this error, shouldn't be an issue. 

http://s21.postimg.org/adgsr6wtj/sopc1.jpg (http://postimage.org/

This shows that my SOPC, builds successfully. 

http://s11.postimg.org/5lhoy26nn/sopc2.jpg (http://postimage.org/

And this the directory of the Nios project. 

http://s21.postimg.org/xqjw6tj8n/nios2.jpg (http://postimage.org/

So the question is, why do i get the error that i do? And how do i fix it? 

Any help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
0 Replies