Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Build error : unable to locate Java runtime

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I just received my new cyclone dev kit with Nios II 1.1. Before installing the new development tools I completely uninstalled existing quartus and nios versions. I also deleted related environment variables and the main registry keys because I had already experienced problems with previous upgrades, e.g. sometimes I could not start the Eclipse IDE directly, but it worked if started from SOPC builder. Now with the new installation quartus and sopc builder seem to work fine, I could successfully compile a design. Unfortunately I cannot get Eclipse to compile a standard hello world. It always complains about not being able to locate the java runtime environment, no matter how Eclipse was started.  

sopc_builder: unable to locate Java runtime environment at - line 417. 

Additionally it is also missing the file install.ptf in .sopcbuilder under "Document and Settings". By the way I had to install the quartus 4.2 web edition sp1 because the cd from the dev kit has crc errors. Will Altera replace them? I have previously successfully developed on this machine with quartus 4.1 and Nios II 1.0 Sp1 eval edition.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

You can contact Altera customer service for a replacement CD if it is indeed faulty. Non-technical customer service contact hotline in North America is: (800) SOS-EPLD. More contact phone numbers here (http://www.altera.com/corporate/contact/info/con-phone.html).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It turned out to be a file permission problem, the error message was simply misleading. Actually java.exe could be located but was not executable under cygwin. Only the admin and user groups had any permissions for this directory. My own user account had to be added to the list of groups or users to make it work, although I am a member of the users and administrators groups. Obviously the default cygwin install cannot handle ACLs properly. Are there any notes about this in the documentation? I would also expect the setup to enforce any required file permissions.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, you figured out the solution to the same problem I was having. This problem only seems to occur if you uninstall everything before installing the Nios II v1.1 kit. 

After changing the permissions on the .exe files in C:\altera\quartus42\bin\jre\bin everything works fine. 

The error message "unable to locate Java runtime environmen" is extremely unhelpful. I thought I had a problem with an environment variable or my path or something.  

Thanks, 

Terry G.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I also have the same problem. I have changed the permissions for the Java executable (as well as the entire Altera directory structure) but I still get the same error message in the NIOS IDE. 

sopc_builder: unable to locate Java runtime environment at - line 417. 

If anyone could suggest a solution I would be very grateful. 

Thanks 

Thomas C.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Possible fix for “Error: Unable to locate Java runtime environment at line 417” 

I believe I have a fix for your issue but I would need you to provide me with your direct e-mail address or simply submit a Service request (ATTN: Frank) through the following link since this involves a modified sopc_builder file: 

mysupport (http://www.altera.com/mysupport

You might also see an issue with your install.ptf not being located. The install.ptf problem is a symptom of the permissions issue that the above error message is caused by. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos