Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Build the Toolchain

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm trying to build the Toolchain. I followed the instructions on web page: 

nioswiki->InstallNios2Linux 

At step: setarch i386 make gcc elf2flt gdb-host I get the following error. I'm using Ubuntu with gcc version 4.2.4. 

=nios2-linux-uclibc- PREFIX= DEVEL_PREFIX=/ RUNTIME_PREFIX=/ KERNEL_HEADERS=/data/share/uclinux/nios2-linux/toolchain-build/build/linux/include all make: Entering directory `/data/share/uclinux/nios2-linux/uClibc' make: `conf' is up to date. CC libpthread/linuxthreads.old/cancel.o In file included from ./include/sys/syscall.h:34, from libpthread/linuxthreads.old/restart.h:16, from libpthread/linuxthreads.old/cancel.c:23: ./include/bits/syscalls.h:10:23: asm/traps.h: No such file or directory make: *** Error 1 make: Leaving directory `/data/share/uclinux/nios2-linux/uClibc' make: *** Error 2 Can some one help me with this problem?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a real _need_ for building the toolchain (there is a binary available) or are you just curious? 

I didn't have much luck getting this to work on my 64-bit Ubuntu box a year or two ago, but the binary toolchain worked just fine to get the embedded stuff that I needed to do...done. 

Cheers, 

--slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm just curious (to learn a thing or two). I will try to use the binary toolchain!  

I hope some one can guide me in right direction to build me own Toolchain.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem. Any ideas? 

thanks, 

Maiko.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have the same problem. Any ideas? 

thanks, 

Maiko. 

--- Quote End ---  

I used the binary toolchain with suc6. I compile and run linux without mmu on my de2 board. At this moment I'm trying to get it running with mmu.  

With building the toolchain myself, I had no suc6. I was out of ideas and started using the binary toolchain!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks, I'm using the binary toolchain too. But I was wondering if I could compile it.  

I can compile a version without mmu: "nios2-linux-20080619", but not the latest sources. 

I'll keep trying...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can learn more from http://www.nioswiki.com/installnios2linux

you should pay attention to step carefully.when you begin to learn nios2,you should do just as the steps from nioswiki.or you will encounter many different problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

c-parser.c not found. Is it required to install gcc 4.2. I am on fedora and gcc 4.4. 

using binary toolchain now.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I am using the latest source code, still facing the same error: 

./include/bits/syscalls.h:10:23: asm/traps.h: No such file or directory 

anyone? 

gcc -v must be 4.2? 

mine is 4.4.3
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFAI remember compiling the (cross-) C compiler needs some "approved" version of the C compiler on the host. Maybe same is 4.2. such a version (as a binary) should be available using a package install system.  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Michael,  

I tried to apt-get install gcc-4.2 

but my Ubuntu reported that it was obsolete. Can someone update Wiki? We look like a bunch of masochists here with outdated tools and manuals. 

My NEEK comes with 8.0 version, and I just bought it last week.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

At the moment rebuilding the Tool Chain is not a very interesting issue, as (AFAIK) it right now only can be done for the no-MMU version of the Tool Chain.  

In the near future the dedicated no-MMU Tool chain will be integrated in a common MMU / no-MMU make tool and supposedly rebuilding same from the sources will be doable.  

Supposedly this will be decently described in the Wiki. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am also facing same error,  

Is there any solution to get ride of this?  

Cheers, 

Mangesh K.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, all. 

I tried to build the Toolchain from the newest nios2-linux-20100621.tar  

i followed instruction from nioswiki com InstallNios2Linux 

but i was stopted by this massege 

make: Entering directory `/root/niosbin/nios2-linux/uClibc' make: `conf' is up to date. CC libpthread/linuxthreads.old/cancel.o In file included from ./include/sys/syscall.h:34, from libpthread/linuxthreads.old/restart.h:16, from libpthread/linuxthreads.old/cancel.c:23: ./include/bits/syscalls.h:10:23: asm/traps.h: No such file or directory make: *** Error 1 make: Leaving directory `/root/niosbin/nios2-linux/uClibc' make: *** Error 2 i'm runing CentOS 5.5  

gcc version is 4.1.2-48, but there is no newer in repos(  

i'd like to build it by myself, plz anybody helps me... 

P.S. Have I any problems using prebuild toolchain nios2gcc-20080203.tar.bz2 on my nios2-linux-20100621.tar?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Same prob with mee as well 

make[1]: *** [libpthread/linuxthreads.old/cancel.o] Error 1 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/elysium/uclinux/nios2-linux/uClibc' 

make: *** [/home/elysium/uclinux/nios2-linux/toolchain-build/../uClibc/lib/libc.a] Error 2
0 Kudos