Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12602 Discussions

Building SoC EDS Linux kernel with Linaro Toolchain version 6.3.1

AKuma128
Beginner

Hi,

I am using Altera Cyclone V SoC development board with SoC EDS V18.0, which has Linaro Toolchain version 4.8.3. I want to build the Linux kernel with Linaro Toolchain 6.3.1.

I am having following doubts before going ahead with this process.

1. Is it fine to build the Socfpga Linux kernel with Linaro toolchain V6.3.1 ?
  2. what could be the dependency i may need to resolve while building with Linaro Toolchain 6.3.1?
  3. Is there any specific reason of releasing SoC EDS 18.0 with Linaro Toolchain version 4.8.3 while we are having latest version available of Linaro toolchain ?
  4. Latest release of SoC EDS 18.1 states Linux compiler 4.8.3 (Linaro* GCC Snapshot 7.2-2017.11) 7.2.1 20171116. Does it mean it got released with Linaro Toolchain version 7.2 ? if yes, then "4.8.3" stands here for what ?

Thanks & Regards

Abhishek Kumar

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello sir,

The 4.8.3 refers to the GCC compiler, and 7.2 is the Linaro version.

For linux kernel, you can select any Linaro version and compile it. its not requiring SoC EDS environment.

You can refer to this link:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GSRDCompilingLinux

It shows you the two methods of creating Linux kernel:

1- Build kernel and Rootfs using Angstrom (bitbake approach).

2- Building kernel and U-boot Separately. (which will build only the zImage).

Hope that can help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Glen
Beginner

I'm afraid that the linaro gcc version in EDS release note is not correct.

I've just execute "arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc --version" under EDS 19.3PRO, and gotten below information:

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1-4.8-2014.04 - Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.04) 4.8.3 20140401 (prerelease)

Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO

warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I guess it's "linaro gcc 4.8-2014.04" inside EDS 19.3PRO, not the same as EDS user guide described 4.8.3 (Linaro* GCC 7.2-2017.11).

I've sent IPS request for this question.

Best regards,

Glen

0 Kudos