Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

C++ 11

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Has anybody used c++ 11 with Nios? By reading the release notes from quartus 13.1, it seems like gcc was upgraded to v4.7.3, which would include support for c++ 11. Now when I try to use some of the c++ 11 features (strongly typed enums, for example), I get this error 

# error This file requires compiler and library support for the ISO C++ 2011 standard. This support is currently experimental, and must be enabled with the -std=c++11 or -std=gnu++11 compiler options.  

Now if I add -std=c++11 to the build options the error remains. 

If I open a nios console and do 

gcc -v 

I get  

gcc version 4.5.3 (GCC) 

So, how do I switch to 4.7.3 or enable c++11 in 4.5.3?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

we're currently going down the same road. By gcc - v you are refering to your host system. Instead you have to call: nios2-elf-gcc -v 

There you should get this: gcc version 4.7.3 (Altera 13.1 Build 162) 

Where currently also experimenting in exploring the c++ capabilities/support of the Nios. Yesterday we tried to use std::chrono but somehow it seems that the _GLIBCXX_USE_C99_STDINT_TR1 define is not set. 

Also we checked for the libstdc++.a and its contents and it seems like many of the constructs are not included. The problem might be that many C++11 constructs require a underlying OS - like std::thread for example. 

Sry for hijacking this thread, but I was about to open a thread on this issue myself. So here go some questions: 

Could somebody please give any indication on the include strucutre regarding the different directories (nios2-elf and H-i686-pc-linux-gnu)? 

How is the -std=c++11 flag set using the create-this_bsp/create-this-app script (at the moment we did this manually compiling the application)? 

Are there any experiences around regarding the limits of C++ and especially C++11 on the Nios? 

Thanks in advance! 

Regards!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Really no experiences on C++ around?!? I'd be already helpfull to know how to properly approach a C++ software project - even neglecting the C++11 standard? Which adjustments to make in the create_this_bsp and create_this_app scripts etc? 

As I couldn't find any documentation on that either, I might have to contact Altera directly...