Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

C++ STL types on NIOS - Do they work?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I'm having trouble using C++ Standard Template Library types like vector, map and streams in my NIOSII system. 

For reference, my project is a networking application using uCOS-II and NicheStack with c++ enabled. The code is based on a modified Simple Socket Server project. 

There are a number of problems at runtime when testing the code, for example: 

- iterators don't seem to work. looping through a std::vector with an iterator returns garbage and never terminates, but manually looping using vector::size() and vector::at() appears to work. 

- possibly related to the previous point, calling find() on a std::map never terminates 

- streaming classes don't seem to work, for example, the following blows up the system: 

basic_stringbuf<alt_u8> buffer(ios_base::out | ios_base::binary); basic_ostream<alt_u8> out(&buffer); out << 123;  

By 'blow up', I mean stepping over the line in the debugger never completes. After waiting a while and hitting 'pause' in the debugger the code is sitting in ALT_EXIT. Stack trace shows an exception is thrown in basic_ios::clear. But adding try/catch does not let me catch it. 

Any ideas what might be causing this insanity? If I had to guess I would think there must be something funny going on with memory or threading due to uCOS... but I have no idea what! 

Please help! : )
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Such randomness might be caused by running out of stack.