Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

CF card speed transfer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I would like to know what is the maximum speed transfert that I can obtain on the CF card with the altcf ip of ALTERA. Does anybody know if it's possible to change PIO mode ? 

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I manage to obtain ~2.5MB/s. However is it possible to obtain a better data rate ? 

Bye
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Doing an appropriate DMA interface in "hardware" might help. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How can you have DMA on altcf : there's two MM Slave : ctl and ide ? 

I know that's possible to make a DMA request from SRAM two DDR but how can you do that from DDR to altcf ? 

Regards,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I meant: new "hardware" instead of altcf. 

Building a new CF-port hardware processor that includes a state machine and some counters. Maybe using the DMA hardware blocks provided by Altera might be possible instead, but I have no knowledge on that. 

Of course a completely new Linux device driver for that DMA-CF-port is necessary as a consequence with either way. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anybody know how to implement the OCIDEC core on Avalon BUS? 

This IP support the DMA process over IDE . 

Thank you Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFAIK, there is an Avalon/Wishbone adapter somewhere... 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Avalon/Wishbone adapter ? 

That is very interresting. However I have look on google and I didn't found anything. Could you tell me where?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok thank you... 

So I have to translate the OCIDEC core from Wishbone to Avalon. However, do you thank that I will found driver for uClinux to drive my interface ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suppose there is no Linux-NIOS driver for DMA enabled CF. So you will need to create it. 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok I have begin the translation of OCIDEC. : http://www.nioswiki.com/operatingsystems/uclinux/ocidec_on_nios2 

Could you help me for the driver ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have no idea how to create a block device driver. I suppose you should try to find an example for a DMA block device driver (e.g. the IDE driver for PC architecture). (But I do know that the IDE PC driver has a long history of bugs and redesigns, so it does not seem to be exactly simple.) 

-Michael
0 Kudos