Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

CFI FLASH Programming by Nios II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a spansion S29GL064N CFI flash that connected to a cyclone IV FPGA and I use Quartus II V11.1. when I use nios2-flash-programmer command in the command shell, CFI flash table found. also, nios II flash programmer is used to program it and results was true. I think all things are true, but FPGA can not be configured by CFI Flash(or config done pin is '1'). how can i fix this problem?  

notice that in the sopc builder reset vector is set to cfi_flash. 

regards,
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you were able to verify the content of the flash then the problem is in your pof file. Make sure your FPGA configuration and software work properly when downloaded directly with JTAG. Once that is verified, see the Altera instructions on creating a pof file and try again.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is it possible to configure FPGA using CFI flash that it was programed by nios IDE?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You cannot configure a Cyclone IV FPGA from CFI memory without an external controller - such as a CPLD or micro. Do you have either of those? A Cyclone IV FPGA cannot control a CFI memory device directly for the purposes of configuration. 

Refer to the "PS Configuration" section, page 8-32, of the configuration and remote system upgrades in cyclone iv devices (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-51008.pdf) for details. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks. Can i use cfi flash in the active parallel mode , if i connect it to dedicated active parallel fpga pins similar to "AP Configuration" sectiON,of the Configuration and Remote System Upgrades in Cyclone IV Devices. 

REGARDS
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, it looks like you can - noting the "Supported Flash Memories" consideration - although both quoted Micron memories seem to be CFI compliant (for read commands anyway). 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Many thanks for your assistance mr Alex .
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Many thanks for your assistance Mr. Alex .
0 Kudos