Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

CIFS in Linux w/ MMU

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I enabled this in the kernel setup and tried it. It connected fine and listed some directories. However, I got numerous "unaligned access" messages.  

I searched the web and checked kernel.org and noticed this issue appears to have been fixed with the x.38 release. Do we keep up with these releases?  

I was unable to find the details for the specific patch that addresses this problem, although I can find messages that list the files effected by the patch. 

I can find the files with this and many other fixes applied, but I'm not comfortable trying to cut this into my release. There are so many other changes, it doesn't seem likely to work. I have not actually attempted, though. 

Any other experience here? The ability to connect to any windows machine seems like it would be a huge plus for many users.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Did you succeed with your problem? 

I have a Linux 2.6.39 with mmu, booting on my board, but when I try to read a device, I have a "kernel unaligned access" error... 

Do you know why? 

Thank you for your help. 

Best regards. 

Pierre
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I do know why - but I haven't attempted to fix it.  

There is a patch available to fix this that covers ~6-8 files in the /fs/cifs directory. I don't know enough about the linux patch world to find and isolate this patch and apply it. I have only found a listing of the files effected. When I go to Kernel.org, I can see the release where the patch was applied, but several other patches are applied as well that could possibly break my release in other ways. It seemed like a project... 

I'm going to try the FTP server next... 

Isn't there a trunk in our Nios GIT world with a newer kernel? Something newer that was reasonably stable would likely have the fix already applied. 

Good luck,
0 Kudos