Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12367 Discussions

Can EPCQ16ASI8N completely replace EPCS16SI8N?

fwenb
Beginner

I used EPCQ16ASI8N to replace EPCS16SI8N, but I found out that I can't burn the program.I found in the datasheet that the structure of EPCS16SI8N is AS × 1, EPCQ16ASI8N has AS × 1 and AS × 4.The ordering code of EPCQ16 is only EPCQ16ASI8N. How do I judge the structure I bought?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

The EPCQ16 supports all the operations that the EPCS16 does. It will also work quite happily in x1 mode. So, yes - you should be able to use the EPCQ16 in place of your old EPCS16.

You don't say what tools/software you're using to program the device. The EPCQ and EPCS devices will have different identifiers. Some programmers - e.g. the nios-flash-programmer software - simply refuse to program a device whose identifier it doesn't recognise.

Cheers,

Alex

fwenb
Beginner

I use Quartus II to program the device. I see that there is a way to enable the Disable EPCS/EPCQ ID check option in guidance, but the software used is Quartus Prime. How do I use Quartus II to block ID checks?

Thank you for your help.

Tom

a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

You have to disable the check via the 'Convert Programming Files...' window. Click on the 'Advanced' button.

Cheers,

Alex

fwenb
Beginner

I have been able to burn normally.

Thank you for your hrlp.

Tom