Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Can I start Modelsim/Questa GUI when I am using command line mode?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I do simulation, ususally I will start with command line mode, to save some resource (I also hear it may accelerate the simulation). But after simulation done, sometimes I want to open the GUI to have a look, to check such as whether the simulation duration is enough. So I wonder whether I can open GUI when I am using command line mode? If I can, how? 

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know how to link to a running simulation, you can definitely start up another instance. 

What I've done in the past, is started the sim that dumps to a wlf file, then open that file in another instance. This works with modelsim. Haven't tested with Questa. 

To keep the GUI from pulling another simulator license, i start it with the -lic_no_lnl option. This way it only pulls the gui waveform viewer. 

Pete