Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Can I use AM29lv160 flash direct in IDE ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there is no AM29lv160 in the drop-down menu that maps the current flash component in SOPC.So i specify the size of the flash device:Address Width:20 

Data Width:16 

But when I run flash_tests.c, i always get "0"after the line"fd = alt_flash_open_dev(EXT_FLASH_NAME);" I can't use the flash. 

I don't know what's the problem with me.Is there anyone that can help me?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by cameral@Mar 13 2006, 09:37 PM 

there is no am29lv160 in the drop-down menu that maps the current flash component in sopc.so i specify the size of the flash device:address width:20 

data width:16 

but when i run flash_tests.c, i always get "0"after the line"fd = alt_flash_open_dev(ext_flash_name);" i can't use the flash. 

i don't know what's the problem with me.is there anyone that can help me? 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13400) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

We use this chip in our design with a Cyclone EP1C6. I put in 20 for address and 16 for data and it works ok. There are a couple of things to keep in mind: 

- After hooking up addr, data and the three control lines make sure the other lines (reset, byte, etc.) of the chip are set to reasonable values. 

- If you are running your program out of flash you won&#39;t be able to open the flash device driver with alt_flash_open_dev. You can store your program in flash and then run out of RAM. If you want to run out of flash AND use the flash for data you&#39;ll have to move the programming routines into RAM, otherwise the program will crash when the flash chip gets switched to programming mode. You&#39;ll also have to bypass the check whether the program is in flash, which is in altera_avalon_cfi_flash.h (ALT_CFI_DEV_IN_USE macro). The setting where your program is running from is the "Program memory (.text)" setting in the system library properties. 

- If you have a chip ending in T (top booting) you&#39;ll have to rearrange the flash regions manually. The function alt_read_cfi_table doesn&#39;t figure out that the 160T is top booting so the regions are wrong. For the 160B everything is fine. I added a global variable called "forceTopBoot" which I set to 1 but at some point I&#39;ll rewrite the alt_read_cfi_table to correctly probe the chip for the boot sectors. 

The easiest way to figure out what&#39;s going on is stepping through the initialization with the debugger. Put a breakpoint on the call to ALTERA_AVALON_CFI_FLASH_INIT in alt_sys_init.c and see what happens. 

Hope that helps, 

Andrew
0 Kudos