Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Can't boot with code in sdram

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've made a sopc system in which the niosii cpu's reset vector is in cfi_flash and exception vector is in sdram. 

I can run and debug my program in eclipse very well, but when I use flash programmer download the .elf file into cfi_flash, the nios won't boot when power up. 

If I change the exception vector of niosii into onchip memory and change every section in the Linker script to onchip memory, nios can boot. 

I guess the problem is that when power up, data can't be loaded correctly from flash into sdram, but as I can run program in sdram using eclipse, the sdram core  

seems no problem.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem is solved, I'm using sdram K4S641632k. I know that the problem is very likely related to the byte enable signal. 

So I double checked the ldqm and udqm signal of sdram, it's connected to the fpga correctly. 

I was shocked ten minutes ago when the pcb designer tell me he had switched the high/low byte signals of sdram for easy routing.