Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

Can't get nios2-flash-programmer working on Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having a problem programming my Linux image into the flash of a Cyclone III FPGA. 

I am using the Nios2EDS (version 11.1) tools on a Ubuntu host, building a uClinux image for my Nios2-based design. The tools all work fine with one exception.  

When I go to use the flash programmer, I get the following: 

$nios2-flash-programmer --mmu --verbose --base=0x0 linux.flash --mmu option was set true, FLASH virtual address is base + offset of 0xC0000000 Using cable "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Resetting and pausing target processor: FAILED Leaving target processor paused I have been having this problem since Nios2EDS 9.1. The nios2-configure-sof and nios2-download commands work fine. I can program the .pof without an issue and the 'linux.flash' image works fine when programmed by my Windows box. 

Every other nios2- tool works on the Linux box. If I run the exact same command from the Nios2 Command Shell on Windows, everything works fine and my hardware boots. 

Does anyone have a clue what is happening differently on my Linux host? 

Thanks, 

Dave ...
0 Kudos
0 Replies