Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Cannot program Nios II on DE2-115 board - System ID/timestamp not found

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I am having trouble using the NIOS II tools to program even the "Hello World" program onto my DE2-115 board. I have followed this tutorial to the letter (even though he is speaking Persian, the software is in English): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7pap5ewrq and I'm still having issues. 

When I get to the "Run As..." step in the Eclipse tools, it compiles just fine, and then when it attempts to run it on the hardware, I get "System ID and Timestamp not found" errors. I've looked through multiple other forum posts, and some say just disable the System ID and Timestamp check, so I did, and then issue becomes "unable to program ELF file." I'm guessing that the software simply cannot program on my DE2 board. 

What's strange is that when I go into target configuration, both the DE2 board is seen (through USB Blaster), and the JTAG programmer is seen, so there shouldn't be any issues. I've tried this on two separate DE2 boards, so I can only imagine that it has something to do with my configuration of the NIOS II chip. 

Can anyone help me figure out if my Qsys configuration is missing something? I have attached the file. From what I can tell, the necessities are there. I also have some external pins exposed, but I have also generated a NIOS II with no external pins, and I have experienced the same issue. The clk pin is connected to the DE2's 50 MHz clock, and the reset is set to Vcc. Note that this is my first time dealing with the NIOS II, so I've never actually seen this working in person. If any other files might be needed to help me figure this out, please let me know.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe you can close the software and restart it. My board is DE1-Soc CycloneV,when I am in this trouble, I always do in this way,and it does work!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Before you can use the software tools, you need to program the FPGA configuration into the Cyclone chip. This is needed every time you power on the dev board. If your board has an LED that indicates the FPGA is configured, check that it is on before attempting to load software.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have done that and it configures correctly. The Nios II tools configuration settings recognize the board and the JTAG interface.

0 Kudos