Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Cannot use override file for "no epcs layout data" error

hyang73
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm using Quartus 17.0 Lite Edition and EDS for SOPC learning, device that I'm using is EP4CE10F17C8. I created a nios2/e based system and a hello_ucos project. When I used flash programmer to download the firmware into a 3rd party EPCS16 flash chip, an error encountered in flash programmer "No EPCS layout data...". Then I searched on web and one solution in "Nios® II Flash Programmer User Guide" said that I can create a nios2-flash-override.txt file in nios2eds/bin. But the error is still there after the overrider file is created in the correct path, 17.0/nios2eds/bin. Then I do this exactly same on Quartus 13.1 web edition platform, the error would not encounter once override file is in the correct file path, 13.1/nios2eds/path.

May I ask is there any thing should I do for 17.0 to use flash programmer to program a 3rd party EPCS?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know what do you mean by 3rd Party EPCS device? Are you using EPCS16? If not, could you provide me the exact part information?

If you are using EPCS16 part, then you may refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/lro1432739743862.html on how to boot the Nios II FW from the EPCS Flash.

0 Kudos
hyang73
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using W25Q16DV, its identification is EF4015, so I wrote a override file. This method works on quartus 13.1 platform, but not work on quartus 17.0 platform.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know which IP are you using to interface with the flash? If you using older IP then I would recommend you to update to Generic Serial Flash Interface IP (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-gen-sfi.pdf) which will support 3rd party flash.

0 Kudos
hyang73
Beginner

Hi,

I cannot find generic serial flash interface in IP catalog...  maybe it is not released to Qsys?

The IP I'm using is Legacy EPCS Flash Controller.

image.png

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The IP is only available starting Quartus 18.0. I would recommend you to use newer version of Quartus.

0 Kudos