Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Change size of Memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I have a DDR3 Memory with the HMC. I have som important Data (Nios Instruction and Data) and some nonimportant Data (from external). Both process have to write into the RAM. I now realized, that this would be possible with the HMC sind I have there two Avalon Busses. But the problem is, both are pointing on the same Memory with different adresses.  

I'm ok with different adresses. But the Problem is the following: 

I want to use Avalon_0 for my NIOS and Avalon_1 for external Data. How do I set a maximum size of Avalon_0/1 so that they don't get overridden by the heap etc?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

RESULT: 

It is not possible to define different Memorys in the hardware. It hase to be done in Software.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could try use the address span extender to create a window like view into the Avalon interface so that the masters see different base addresses. And you can split the memory to 2 logically.