Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Changing BSP driver headers

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a nios2 project where I can do test builds on my own workstation. I also commit code to a version control repository so it can be rebuilt by other developers, or by a build server. 

The only BSP-relevant files currently under version control are nios.sopcinfo and create-this-bsp - all other BSP files are auto-generated on every full build. 

I've already changed some details of the BSP by changing create-this-bsp, e.g. adding "--set hal.max_file_descriptors 8" to the arguments for nios2-bsp. This works well and is stable and maintainable across multiple build platforms. 

Now I want to change one of the driver header files. 

(Specifically, I want to change the# define of ALT_AVALON_UART_BUF_LEN in altera_avalon_uart.h, but my question isn't really about the uart, it's about best practice with the toolchain.) 

I can generate a BSP then manually hack the .h file directly - and it works for my local builds. 

The trouble is, the next time I (or anyone else) regenerates the BSP, the change is lost. 

I can't find a way to make create-this-bsp generate any value other than the default. 

Can anyone suggest a stable, maintainable way to change the contents of a driver include file?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, managed to find a way. 

I added my edited version of drivers/inc/altera_avalon_uart.h to version control, then added 

--cmd set_ignore_file altera_avalon_uart_driver altera_avalon_uart.h true 

to my nios2-bsp arguments in create-this-bsp, to stop it overwriting my edited file. 

This does the job, regardless of whether I build it locally or on Jenkins. Panic over. 

:D