Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Changing HPS SDRAM parameters in Qsys need to rebuild the whole FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am investigating a issue with HPS SDRAM. What i am doing here is changing some HPS SDRAM parameter in Qsys and recompile HPS. 

My question is do i need to rebuild the whole FPGA to make the HPS change active? 

If not, then it will save us lots of time for debugging. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I am not mistaken, you only need to regenerate the Qsys component --> that will regenerate the hardware-software handoff files (including the calibration needed for the HPS SDRAM). Then it is a matter of updating the preloader with the latest changes... (again, assuming you are using the bsp-editor tool to generate the preloader that calibrates the SDRAM)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, Sunshine. 

That is my guess too. Yes, i am using bsp-editor to update preloader.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I tried. If I just regen the HPS in Qsys, but do not recompile the whole FPGA, it turned out the hps_isw_handoff files are not updated at all....