Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Changing the RAM adr for my program

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I want to know how I can change the address where the program will be copied into the RAM. Right now everytime I build the app the srec2flash utility reports that the app spans from 0x1000000 to 0x1007628. How can I change this so the app is put somewhere else in the RAM??? 

Regards 

GreateWhite.DK
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

There are hooks in the srec2flash utility that should allow you to do this. Here's an output that I get by running 'srec2flash' with no arguments: 

$ srec2flash flash address: 0x00140000  ram address: 0x00000000 max copy size: 0x00000000        srec2flash <filename>.srec    --flash_address=x     Where in flash to store the copier & program,                          (defaults to 0x140000)    --ram_address=x       Where in RAM to copy the program to, and execute                          (defaults to 0x40000)    --copy_size=x         How many bytes to copy from flash to RAM                          (defaults to 0x40000)    --sdk_directory=<dir> Specify an sdk directory "srec2flash" The Nios development board&#39;s Germs monitor looks for code in flash memory. The srec2flash utility takes code targeted for program memory and prepends a copying routine to copy itself from flash memory to program memory. It also prepends the necessary Germs monitor commands to write the file into flash. The output, <filename>.flash, can be burnt to flash by using nios-run:       nios-run -x <filename>.flash (Only works over serial; nios-run over jtag does not support this feature.) 

In other words, this command does return the default values, when run with no arguments, but by using the --ram-address=<your_new_location> option, you should see the behavior that you want. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers, 

- Brendan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If its a simple program just use -b build option to set the base address? I use it all the time to relocate srec files: 

nb -b 0x1000600 my_prog.c 

This gives germs that starts at 0x1000000 enough room so that I can load and reload new builds over the serial port without rebooting my board. 

Ken
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did this solve the problem?

0 Kudos