Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

Changing the RAM adr for my program

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi 

I want to know how I can change the address where the program will be copied into the RAM. Right now everytime I build the app the srec2flash utility reports that the app spans from 0x1000000 to 0x1007628. How can I change this so the app is put somewhere else in the RAM??? 

Regards 

GreateWhite.DK
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

There are hooks in the srec2flash utility that should allow you to do this. Here's an output that I get by running 'srec2flash' with no arguments: 

$ srec2flash flash address: 0x00140000  ram address: 0x00000000 max copy size: 0x00000000        srec2flash <filename>.srec    --flash_address=x     Where in flash to store the copier & program,                          (defaults to 0x140000)    --ram_address=x       Where in RAM to copy the program to, and execute                          (defaults to 0x40000)    --copy_size=x         How many bytes to copy from flash to RAM                          (defaults to 0x40000)    --sdk_directory=<dir> Specify an sdk directory "srec2flash" The Nios development board&#39;s Germs monitor looks for code in flash memory. The srec2flash utility takes code targeted for program memory and prepends a copying routine to copy itself from flash memory to program memory. It also prepends the necessary Germs monitor commands to write the file into flash. The output, <filename>.flash, can be burnt to flash by using nios-run:       nios-run -x <filename>.flash (Only works over serial; nios-run over jtag does not support this feature.) 

In other words, this command does return the default values, when run with no arguments, but by using the --ram-address=<your_new_location> option, you should see the behavior that you want. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers, 

- Brendan
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

If its a simple program just use -b build option to set the base address? I use it all the time to relocate srec files: 

nb -b 0x1000600 my_prog.c 

This gives germs that starts at 0x1000000 enough room so that I can load and reload new builds over the serial port without rebooting my board. 

Ken
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Did this solve the problem?