Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12586 Discussions

Choosing an RTOS for the Cyclone V ARM Processor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, I'm looking for an RTOS for my Cyclone V with the ARM core. I have been evaluating one RTOS but there are lots out there so I thought I'd ask for help. If anyone can help suggest some good vendors or which RTOS is the best please let me know. 

Thanks, 

joe
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"The best" is pretty subjective. 

If your objective is to get some work done, as soon as possible, then I would argue that "the best" is the one with all the drivers you need already written and tested. 

With no more research than a Google search I see VxWorks has been used ... 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/rtos_tools.html 

And since that is an Intel company ... and so is Altera ... I'd say that VxWorks would be your best option if you want to use an RTOS. 

The real question is why use an RTOS? You have an FPGA - ask yourself "Could all real-time tasks could be implemented in HDL, with a non-real-time-OS operating in a support capacity?". The answer I typically find is "Yes, I can just use the FPGA". 

Of course this is system dependent ... but you should at least consider it .... 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave for sharing your suggestions, they are very helpful.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

for me any RTOS is fine to go, as long as it able to support or stable for your application needs. for me choose those with more tutorial and guideline on the web, is it easier to enhance or trouble shoot later on.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

for me any RTOS is fine to go, as long as it able to support or stable for your application needs. for me choose those with more tutorial and guideline on the web, is it easier to enhance or trouble shoot later on. 

--- Quote End ---  

Can you recommend any vendors?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how about free FreeRTOS ? got some of the working application example which is working with Altera cyclone too. 

http://www.freertos.org/
0 Kudos