Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Code not running unless NIOS toolset attached

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

my system is a Cyclone 3 FPGA with external SDRAM for memory, with a EPCS64 attached for configuration and code storage. 

I am programming via a JTAG attached byteBlaster. 

I can run/debug the code using the NIOS toolset, but if I try and run the system standalone then the code does not appear to run. i.e. disconnect the byte blaster and re-power the system. 

In standalone mode the FPGA definitely is programmed - lots of LEDS flash and some built in test occurs. 

Running Quartus 13.1 Web Edition on Win XP 32 bit. 

Thanks 

Alun
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you used the flash programmer to program your system's CFI or EPCS flash? In other words, how do you expect that external SDRAM to be populated with code if that code doesn't reside in some sort of non-volatile memory and get loaded into SDRAM? 

If you've already managed the above properly, you could be seeing some sort of unlicensed core issue. 

Cheers! 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All this has worked before. I am updating the toolsets from using Quartus 9.1. This has not been easy. 

I am sure all the hardware works.  

Using 9.1 I can program the EPCS etiher through JTAG or using active serial and the code runs. 

Using 13.1 I can program the EPCS etiher through JTAG or using active serial and the code doesn't run. 

I guess I'm missing something in the BSP setup - but where ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check if Nios reset address matches EPCS base address. 

Also check if you are using the correct EPCS boot loader. 

When you boot from jtag, can your code access EPCS?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK found it - had my doh moment. 

Problem was I hadn't included the elf file in the flash programmer 'files to convert' section. :oops: 

So a picnic problem. 

On to the next one. 

Thanks for all the suggestions  

Alun
0 Kudos