Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Combining .elf and .sof files

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How can I put a large .elf Nios program into a .sof file? When I convert to .hex using elf2hex, it tells me it is too large for a hex file. 

I need to have a way for production computers to program the flash with just the Quartus programmer. I can't install the Nios EDS on production computers. 

I am using active parallel so there is no EPCS device, which is what most of the examples use. I have a bootloader that will load a program from flash at a certain address, but I don't know how to get the elf into the flash. 

The size of the executable is about 4 KB.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FYI I did this by modifying the make_flash_image_script.sh that comes with the advanced boot loader. I changed the nios2-elf-objcopy command so that the output was ihex, then loaded that into the Quartus convert programming files tool.