Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Comment block in ModelSim?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

Is there a way to comment out a section in a .do file in modelsim? I can comment out a line using "#" but was wondering what is the syntax for commenting out a section (/*........ */ in C) 

Thanks
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What HDL? Verilog supports blocks using /* */, or line by line using //. VHDL uses -- for each line. Modelsim may let you select a bunch of text and insert --'s, but it's been awhile since I've used it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is for a .do file (not a vhdl or verilog file) 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use a condition that is always false  

if {0} { # code that never gets executed }  

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave for your reply however its not quite what I wanted. I wanted to put in several lines of comments for instruction to me for when I open it again months later and have forgotten what I was doing :confused: . Its just a pain to manually add "#" to each line! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Use a condition that is always false  

if {0} { # code that never gets executed }  

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

its not really that much of a bother is it? 

Just write the words, then use a good text editor with column edit to add in all the#
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah I guess. I just thought I was missing something and there was an easy way to do it. I guess not

0 Kudos