Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Compile toolchain from source

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, so I've gotten hold of the source code for alteras modifed GCC 4.7.3 from here: http://www.altera.com/support/ip/processors/nios2/ide/ips-nios2-ide-tutorial.html 

My question is: where do i find instructions on how to build the nios2-elf-* toolchain? I know the general steps in building gcc but I do not know what specific configuration options should be specified and what libraries to use etc. 

Is there any documentation on the process already available that i've missed? 

Thank you for any assistance! 

BTW: I do know there are a pre-build binary distribution but I don't want to use that, I wan't to build it myself.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Really, no one? It can't be that crazy to want to build the compiler myself... it is open source after all.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Really, no one? It can't be that crazy to want to build the compiler myself... it is open source after all. 

--- Quote End ---  

I can think of 4 reasons no one is answering you on this: 

1. We're writing applications for the NIOS II for some product or even hobby and that's not part of what is needed to accomplish this. 

2. The included tools work. I've done 4 significant NIOS II projects (all with TCP/IP) and the only compiler bug I found had a simple workaround. 

3. No one has the need to build the tools. If you had the expertise to make compiler changes or fix a bug, I could see then wanting to build it. But what is the need to build it just for the sake of building it? 

4. It's not trivial to do (from what I've read) and one has to learn how to do this (as you're trying to do). 

BillA
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are instructions on how to build the toolchain on the wiki. 

There are also some extra patches (from myself).
0 Kudos