Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

Compiling problems with uclibc ...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All, 

When I compile my application with uclibc, I got the following error message. 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

C:/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.uClibc_0.1.0/include/linux/byteorder/little_en 

ian.h:45: error: `__le64&#39; undeclared (first use in this function)[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

After using the "-E" instead of "-c", I find out the root cause of this problem. 

The include directory is 

"C:/altera/kits/nios2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.uClibc_0.1.0/include/". 

In the file <linux/byteorder/little_endian.h>, I got the "undefined 

error message" for the symbol "__le64", but it was defined in 

<linux/types.h>. But unfortunately, only if we do not define 

"__KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES", "__le64" will be defined as expected. And the 

"__KERNEL_STRICT_NAMES" is defined in <features.h>, since the 

"_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES" is not defined. 

And, I also checked the uclibc.org about the uclibc file. It seems they do not have the <linux/types.h> file. They using default types.h file.  

I grapped mazur&#39;s version 2.6.9.1 linux/byteorder/little_endian.h for __le64, 

and this was what I got: 

./linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:#define __le64_to_cpu(x) ((__u64)(x)) 

./linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:#define __le64_to_cpup(x) (*(__u64*)(x)) 

./linux/byteorder/little_endian.h:#define __le64_to_cpus(x) do {} while (0) 

__u64 is defined in your architecture&#39;s asm file, in my case: 

./asm-i386/types.h:typedef unsigned long long __u64; 

So, is there anyone can help me step out of this problem? 

Thanks, 

Neo
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Who can help me solve this problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well, my recommendation is, check the source code of your application to see if <asm/byteorder.h> is being included somewhere, and try removing it if. If this doesn&#39;t remove the problem, can you post more details about the error message?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your response. In fact, I am going to port the application to uclinux. And it uses the header file as  

# ifdef LINUX# include <asm/byteorder.h># endif 

And the LINUX is defined. Why do I need to remove this header files? And I found there is much difference between the uclibc header files and the header files in the following link. 

http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/ (http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/). 

Could you explain the difference for me?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This header file is intended for kernel use only, and it mainly defines the byte order of the target machine, along with some helper functions. If I were you, I would try to remove the including of that file, put a "#define __LITTLE_ENDIAN 1234" in the same location, and give the compiler a run. If the application needs more than that, just copy them from that header file ...

0 Kudos