Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Compilling Linux with MMU on NIOS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I am compiling Linux on DE0 dev board and at the end of compilation errors appears:  

CC lib/rwsem-spinlock.o 

CC lib/sha1.o 

CC lib/show_mem.o 

CC lib/string.o 

CC lib/vsprintf.o 

AR lib/lib.a 

LD arch/nios2/lib/built-in.o 

CC arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.o 

In file included from /home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c:13: 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/longlong.h:1237:2: warning:# warning "Default c-implementation of umul_ppm" 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/longlong.h:1264:2: warning:# warning "Default c-implementation of __umulsidi3" 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/longlong.h:1327:2: warning:# warning "Using count_leading_zeroes in C" 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c: In function '__ashldi3': 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c:52: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c: In function '__ashrdi3': 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c:78: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c: In function '__lshrdi3': 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c:105: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c: In function '__udivmoddi4': 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/lib/libgcc.c:351: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code 

CC arch/nios2/lib/memcpy.o 

CC arch/nios2/lib/string.o 

AR arch/nios2/lib/lib.a 

LD vmlinux.o 

MODPOST vmlinux.o 

GEN .version 

CHK include/generated/compile.h 

UPD include/generated/compile.h 

CC init/version.o 

LD init/built-in.o 

LD .tmp_vmlinux1 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/toolchain-mmu/x86-linux2/bin/nios2-linux-gnu-ld:arch/nios2/kernel/vmlinux.lds:173: ignoring invalid character `#' in expression 

/home/darka/nios2-linux/toolchain-mmu/x86-linux2/bin/nios2-linux-gnu-ld:arch/nios2/kernel/vmlinux.lds:173: syntax error 

make[2]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1 

make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2 

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/darka/nios2-linux/linux-2.6' 

make: *** [linux] Error 1 

[root@localhost uClinux-dist]# 

Is there anybody whose got this same problem and know how to solve it ?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Probably module missing some dependencies. 

P.S. Where can I evaluate the newest version of Linux in FPGA? I've found some old archives of ucLinux in Altera Wiki, but it would be great to get new files. Also where can I get tools for cross-compilations?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Maybe the problem is, that I am using GCC version: gcc version 4.4.4 20100726 (Red Hat 4.4.4-13) (GCC) 

As desribed in: http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/install_nios_ii_linux 

there need to use GCC-4.2 ??
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hm, I am downloading the .tar package, so possible will answer in a few days.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Actually I am using nios2-linux-20100621.tar and CentOS-6.  

I am trying to compile almost one week and no sucess.. this is the last error I got almost at the end of compilation :/
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Then I'd offer You to ask in mailing list: http://sopc.et.ntust.edu.tw/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nios2-dev

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I just tried to ask others.. strange that some people can normally compile it.. 

:(
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Try 

make clean 

NON_SMP_BUILD=1 make
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Maybe the problem is, that I am using GCC version: gcc version 4.4.4 20100726 (Red Hat 4.4.4-13) (GCC) 

As desribed in: http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/install_nios_ii_linux 

there need to use GCC-4.2 ?? 

--- Quote End ---  

You don't use the GCC on your system to build linux, but the one in toolchain-mmu. Unless you are trying to build the toolchain, it doesn't matter what you have installed.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

It does not helping :( I am getting this same error..maybe there is some problem in toolchain-mmu because to compile nios2-linux-20100621 I am using old binary nios2gcc-20080203. I was unable to compile my own toolchain of 20100621 version..

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Oh, I remember now where I've seen that error before. Did you modify nios.h or the generated custom_fpga.h ? (I don't know if these actually exist anymore in 20100621 with device tree and all) 

If you have a# define commented out C++ style // in any of those headers, it'll get into the linker script and you'll get that error.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Are you using QSys and sopc-create-header-files? I just noticed that it creates macros like# define KERNEL_REGION_BASE 0xc0000000L where it didn't used to put an L and looks like that doesn't work in the linker script and gives that error.