Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Complile error on NIOS II - `onchip_ram' overflowed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all  

I am new in the Altera Cyclone V FPGAs and i'm doing the tutorials provided with the BEMicro SDK and i have managed to urn the image onto the chip. The problem i am having is is of the following nature.  

c:/altera/12.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-i686-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/4.1.2/../../../../nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: bemicro_led_control.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `onchip_ram' 

c:/altera/12.0/nios2eds/bin/gnu/h-i686-mingw32/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/4.1.2/../../../../nios2-elf/bin/ld.exe: region `onchip_ram' overflowed by 19784 bytes 

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status 

make: *** [bemicro_led_control.elf] Error 1 

Could you help as i am stuck on this part now.  

Kind regards
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The problem is quite clear: your project doesn't fit into onchip ram. 

Solutions: 

- if your fpga has enough spare memory resource, increase onchip ram dimension,  

- remove any unnecessary big variables, especially strings and long arrays 

- avoid use of code consuming library functions, like printf and floating point management 

- compile in release mode instead of debug