Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

Compress and optimize application

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have an application when converted to hex, creates 850 KB file size. I need this application to sit in on-chip memory of 5CEFA5F23C device. The max on-chip memory size which could be assigned is 412000 Bytes. I need to somehow compress the hex file in order for it to fit in on-chip memory. Can you please suggest a way to do this? I am using NIOS II EDS V14.1

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

I have an application when converted to hex, creates 850 KB file size. I need this application to sit in on-chip memory of 5CEFA5F23C device. The max on-chip memory size which could be assigned is 412000 Bytes. I need to somehow compress the hex file in order for it to fit in on-chip memory. Can you please suggest a way to do this? I am using NIOS II EDS V14.1 

--- Quote End ---  

You might try one of the LZRW algorithms, I used one several years ago to improve on Altera's compression. Here is a link: http://www.ross.net/compression/
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have made one observation. I generated elf with highest optimization flag and could reduce the size of elf by around 400KB. Now the size of elf is 1300 KB. When I generate hex file using mem_init_generate, it always converts elf file to hex file with a size of 849KB. No matter what the size of elf is, the size of hex file does not change.. Why is it so????