Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Configuring Altera FPGAs

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am currently working on a project using a cyclone ii device and I am not sure I understood the Configuration Cycle Waveform as described in ALTERAs config_handbook.pdf correctly : (Figure 1-1) 

When the system powers up, the Low-to-High transition of CONF_DONE indicates the end of the configuration phase. 

Then registers and I/O-pins are initialized before the devices enters the User-Mode, indicated by a Low-to-High transition of INIT_DONE. 

My question is : 

In VERILOG-1995 registers can be initialized using an INITIAL block. 

My code consists of a large number of modules each of them using an INITIAL block. 

Are all registers affected by that command initialized during that initialization phase as mentioned above (between CONF_DONE transition and INIT_DONE transition) ? 

I am using QUARTUS 9.1SP2 software. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I think all registers must be initialized to either "0" or "1" before the device enters user mode. In case there is no initialization within the code (and the option "Power-Up don't care" in "More analysis&synthesis settings" is "On"), the QuartusII compiler can decide to initialize to either "1" or "0" to optimize device usage... 

(Similar to initialization in Code there is an "Power-Up Level" option in the assignment editor...) 

Regards